Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

Just like to say at first that I don't know which receiver are hot right now. So I'm searching around, but from what I've read so far. Denon and Yamaha, along with some others make great receivers.

I plan on getting a 5.1 speaker setup pretty soon for my HT room. But I haven't the first clue which speaker to get, nor which receiver. This will be just for movies, or mostly for movies. Maybe a couple games or a mp3 once in a while, but 99% DVD's/Divx.

A little more about my setup... will probably use a X1 or similar LCD/DLP projector and a HTPC. My budget is pretty limited. And anyway just looking what would fit my bill.

So I come by this person on a forum site that is selling his Yamaha HTR-5250 receiver. product link: http://yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe...R00010HTR-5250

There is no warranty on it. The guy selling it says he bought it off an auction about half a year ago. However he says it works fine. Well he's offering it for $200 shipped.

Quickly I did a search and looks like some people were able to pick these up for $199 even at clearance sales. So this tells me that maybe it's a old model being phased out. However reading some customer reviews, most people seem to love them.

Long story short, I need some advice. If this isn't recommened... what else is there around the $200-300 price range? Again I just need a great 5.1 sound output. :)

Lastly, how do I exactly hook up the receiver to a HTPC? I take it I plug the projector into the receiver and the HTPC? (video to PC, audio to receiver and then receiver to PC?) Clueless on that one hehe.

Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hehe just found an awesome site, ubid lol. Looks like $200 for that model is a bit much hehe.

Um looks like the 5550 is going for $217 shipped and the 5540 is at $182 shipped.

I wonder whats the difference between the two? Also a Panasonic SA-HE70 is about $160ish I believe. I've always like their products, so maybe thats something I should look into? I dunno, so many choices. And I don't have hours to sit and read everything on every one. Any suggestions guys? :)

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
For $200-300 I would think the HE-70 or HE-100 would be fine choices. Panny's (formerly Technics) usually ran hot but other than that they were generally fine products with decent features. I think JandR.com has them both. You might also do a price search on the Pioneer 811S. It is currently being replaced with a new model but it is much the same. It also is fairly feature rich for this price class.

·
Registered
404 Posts
a had a technics last year -stay far away, bad service

·
Registered
126 Posts
My thought is that's a good receiver, but you should be able to find it for less if you go used. If I remember correctly, that one probably retailed for around $399, but stores probably sold it for more like $299 when it became the previous year's model -- and that's $299 for a brand new one with a warranty. It's undoubtedly *worth* $200, but I think you should see if he'd take $150.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Technics and Panasonic make reliable stuff, yea their service may not be great, but you shouldnt need it. Ive owned several bulletproof Technics and Panasonic items, i couldnt kill them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.