AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi new here ...and not sure about what im gonna do...have a Cox sevice in my house and only living room has the STB , and i dont want to ask cox for another box due to charging me another 10-15 dollars a month to rent out equipment, the question is can i just buy StB (scientific atlanta explorer XXXX and plug in it on my room, and will work just right off? we currently have explorer 4240 hdc on living room, any inputs will greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicmobile /forum/post/19646194

the question is can i just buy StB (scientific atlanta explorer XXXX and plug in it on my room, and will work just right off?

Nope. Cox would have to authorize the box to work, and they won't authorize anything they don't rent out. Buying a cable box off of eBay or gray market is a good way to own a doorstop.

Wajo's suggestion would work if you just want local network affiliates and other "in the clear" channels, like maybe Discovery and a few others. Any channel that's encrypted (sports, movie channels, and most others), you need to resign yourself to renting from Cox.

Good that you asked before buying a box, though.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
To really know in advance what channels the Mag 515 I recommended will tune w/o a box, connect your incoming coax directly to your TV, scan for channels, and see what you get. If your TV has a digital tuner, the Mag will get the same analog and digital channels your TV can tune w/o the box. Some people get 80-100 channels with their Mag recorders.

I subscribe to "Broadcast Basic" analog cable (not "extended basic" or digital), which would normally give me only 61 analog channels thru my analog tuner. However, I also get 15 digital/HD channels remapped from my cableco's higher-numbered channels: the local digital versions of ABC-HD, CBS-HD, NBC-HD, and FOX-HD... which carry 99% of what I record with my Philips 3575, Mag 2160 and Mag 515 on a daily basis... plus CW, My68, DISC-HD, TNT-HD, TBS-HD, THiS-HD, ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD, etc.... AND I WOULDN'T TRADE ANY OF MY DIGITAL CHANNELS FOR ANOTHER 61 ANALOG CHANNELS!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, what is sent in the clear really varies from area to area, even within the same cable company. Wajo's list is pretty decent, but some report only the locals.

TWC in my area still has about sixty or so analog channels that my pre-QAM CRT TV picks up. I'm not sure what they send in the clear QAM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.