Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid newbie question, probably covered many times earlier:

I am planning to get a Panasonic AE 100 pj next month. To see the image on the screen does one need to connect the cable connector directly to the pj and be projected to the screen? Or does this require some other method? Since the Football world cup is round the corner, I would love to watch the images on a big screen if possible. Any links to shed some light on this appreciated!

TIA

George

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You cannot run the cable directly into the projector. I'm pretty sure there are no coaxial connections on it, and more importantly, it has no internal tuner. You must run the cable signal thru a tuner, like a VCR or cable box, then into the projector. I am not familiar with the AE100 connections, so I don't know if it accepts composite or S-Video signal, which is what you would get out of a VCR or cable box.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Something else. From what I've read on this forum, and from my own experience with my projector, you can expect a fairly poor picture from an analog cable feed. If you have digital cable, the results might be better. Just thought I'd give you a heads up. Good luck!

·
Registered
333 Posts
No, the AE100 has no coax input, nor internal tuner.

Yes, standard analog cable looks terrible straight into the AE100. Search the thread for the term iScan (or iScan2) - it will take your cable signal and make it much more viewable on the AE100.

Basically, the AE100 looks best using its following inputs:

Best: VGA with PC Priority set to WIDE

Good: Component with progressive scan signal

Bad to OK: S-Video

And remember, as we say in software engineering, garbage in/garbage out. So in this case, a raw analog cable signal coming in on the S-Video input will pretty much look like garbage on the big screen.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
You could input from a cable "box" tuner available from the cable company. "Digital" cable isn't digital on the lower analog channels, such as local networks where football is found.

I basically couldn't stand the picture from CATV until I spent another near $3 grand on the Faroudja NRS, which is known for its DCDI video processing. Even so, the lower channels are only barely adequate.

Now, I'm installing a DTV/HDTV tuner since our local channels are going DTV this month. I'll continue to use the digital cable for the high channels but do my locals, including football, through the Samsung DTV/HDTV receiver. You may want to look into this as a possibility in your area. The Samsung is pretty reasonable in cost, around $400, a lot cheaper than the NRS.

Dan

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Georg Ollapally
Stupid newbie question, probably covered many times earlier:

I am planning to get a Panasonic AE 100 pj next month. To see the image on the screen does one need to connect the cable connector directly to the pj and be projected to the screen? Or does this require some other method? Since the Football world cup is round the corner, I would love to watch the images on a big screen if possible. Any links to shed some light on this appreciated!

TIA

George
George,

As there is no digital cable in India (as far as I know), you will not have a very good Picture Quality. So some of the suggestions made earlier might help you. As for watching Soccer (football), you can hook up the cable to your VCR and then from VCR to the PJ. This way the VCR will act as your tuner.

DP

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the feedback. I also understand that the Korean company LG has some kind of set top converter available in the marketplace here, to divide the audio and video signals, and it comes with a remote to control volume. I need to compare this with getting the video signal via my VCR.

I suspect that the signal here is not digital. However some of the cable companies are talking about DTH using small dish antennas-is this likely to be digital?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.