AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive my ignorance on the matter of receivers, but could someone tell me if I could run a 5.1 speaker set up on a 6.1 reciever? I'm sure I could but would it be optimal to run a 5.1 on a 6.1 receiver like the Pioneer VSX-D912K? Would it be better to buy a 5.1 dedicated receiver to run a 5.1 speaker setup? I plan on buying the 5.1 Ascend Acoustics speakers and need to get a receiver for it. Any tips?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
You most certainly can use a 5.1 speaker setup with a 6.1 or 7.1 capable receiver and get the same or better results as with a 5.1 model.

Part of the setup on any 5.1 or 6/7.1 receiver is telling it what speakers you're using.

For example, many people don't use front center channel speakers. Telling the receiver you don't have one reroutes the center channel to the front mains and creates a "phantom" center.

A 6/7.1 receiver can do a similar trick for playback on EX and ES soundtracks played back with no back center or back surround speakers.

I have a Pioneer VSX45TX 7.1 receiver which I used with a 5.1 speaker array for about a month before I bought a pair of back surround speakers. It did just fine at reproducing native 5.1 stuff, and did a "phantom" rear center for 6.1 stuff like Gladiator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.