AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an RCA DWD490RE at RS, and already have my first issue. Out of the box(albeit an RS refurbish-ouch), the first tuner is flaky. Second tuner gets a great signal - 85, but first does not lock in. It will stay not locked in, lock in for a split second, start to show a signal strength, than go back to not locked in.

My question: As I am going to hack the box anyways(new HD already on the standby), is this something easily fixed myself, or should I just give it back to RS and wait the few weeks for them to get me another one(which will OC be refurbished, so I'm not exactly counting on a clean bill of health there)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I too have bought a few RS refurbs. I have been fortunate with the refurbs, but I had a NEW one have a tuner failure on me. My refurbs ran and continue to run perfectly. Like many have said, check and then double check your connections from the dish to the tuners. Check your history to see if you have frequent "tuners changed" noted there. If you have a multiswitch, bypass it and run directly from the dish. Do a system test to see if both tuners are OK. If you have a real tuner failure, it is very difficult to fix it yourself.

Scott.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

The first thing you'll want to do is verify this problem is because of a bad tuner... OR not.

You'll want to verify that the LNB, Cables, Multi-Switch (if one is used) and UTV Tuners are all working properly.

The simple test is to check each Tuner Cable individually... Work with one cable at a time and check each tuner. If one cable is causing the problem on both tuners and one isn't you could say the problem isn't the UTV, but the cable setup...

Also, make certain your UTV is keeping cool at all times. Elevate it off it's "feet" and provide extra ventilation around all sides of the UTV, make sure the internal fan is working... If it is running rather hot already unplug it and allow it to be cool to the touch... Then with it elevated and staying "cool" you can rule out overheating as a problem (at least in a small part) If the tuner comes back when the UTV is cool it usually indicates a BAD TUNER problem is coming... Have RS get you a replacement if they can...

Does your History Log show Tuner Status changes from 1-2 tuners regularly? Is there any History from "before you owned it"? This supports the failing tuner issue and you should have RS replace it ASAP.

However, if your Cable Setup isn't right OR your UTV isn't running under good conditions you should correct these issues to narrow down the cause and to reduce the chance your next UTV (if needed) may have to suffer an early tuner failure too.

The UTV Tuner may not always "Lock" the signal but it should read a fairly constant signal reading... (Say 86% +or- 3)

Let us know...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, but I have already iso'd it is the tuner. I have removed all extras, run one cable straight into the Sat one, get the flaky response, then immediately switch over to two with the same cable and get an 86, switch back to one, flake. Looks like it is back to RS, though it is nice to hear there are some success stories with their refurbed's. The guy at the store I bought mine at says he gets about one every few weeks(he said he even got one 2 weeks ago that was original with an HU card still in it).

As to the History Log, have not checked that. For that matter, didn't even know to look for one. Where can I find that?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Fortunately for you the RS refurbs carry a better warranty than a new UTV.

Another thing to try is unplug the UTV for more than an hour. Then power it back up and check it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gave it all night, no luck. Same problem, though this time it held a slight signal of 5 on the first tuner, and a 91 on the second. The history area showed that the tuners had been swapped out multiple times, looks like it's headed back to be done again..

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Well does it retain the 5% signal? Probably unlikely you'll want to put more time into a unit going back to Radio Shack... but it might be a simple issue of a poor connection from the cable to the tuner itself... If you have a cable with a "longer" copper conducter try that and wiggle it around a bit...

Later,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.