Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy all.

so i've started setting (well, attempting to) up my 6pg. been going through curts mechanical setup guide. a few questions..

1. i'll be using a htpc, and will be projecting onto a 16:9 screen. was thinking of using 1280x720 resolution with 50hz timing (720p). do i then just squeeze the raster to get the correct ratio? when do i do this after the mechanical setup?

2. i haven't started playing with raster centering. the rasters on the three tubes are all positioned and sized the same (on visual inspection), and all pretty much in the centre (and well sized), but a little to the right. should i bother correcting this? was reading somewhere in that holy focus guide that sometimes they are setup this way as the start of the horizontal scan can be unstable. might this be why they are to the right?

3. i'm using the pg setup software (don't have the remote). whenever i select save data, it doesn't seem to save. as soon as source signal was dropped (stupid laptop going into standby), or projector powered down, settings would be lost. got around this by using a save feature of the software, but i think this saves settings on computer (as opposed to the projector), then i have to load them on the computer. is this abnormal, or am i doing something wrong.

4. thinkin i won't bother with astig and focus pot adjustments for now. just get it useable, and then later start knit picking. or should i go the whole hog now and get it done properly (note, this is my first crt setup)?

5. is the mechanical setup independant of the source, as its name suggests? or would i have to redo the mechanical setup to get optimum performance from different sources/resolutions/timings?

okay, thats all the questions i've got for now (more to follow at a later date no doubt!). thanks in advance for any help.

cheers. john.

·
Registered
113 Posts
1. I'm running my nec at 1280x720 @ 72 mhz. Yes squeeze the raster after physical setup. When doing physical setup use the width of the screen to get the distance away from the screen for the projector. I believe NEc uses a 4:3 aspect ratio if you are using their diagnol size to judge your distance from PJ to screen.

·
Registered
113 Posts
2. Never heard ANY reason not to have your raster centered properly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
5. The mechanical setup is done once. But you will have to re-converge and save a new input for each source.

·
Registered
113 Posts
4. Nothing wrong with waiting to tweak her out later. After 4 months and 4 different screens and a new green tube I'm just going to get inside my PJ and make some finer mechanical adjustments this week!

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Where are you exactly John?

You're welcome to come over and I'll show you how to set up a PG (or vice versa) - I'm SE bayside.

Jrobbo did this for me, it's my turn to do the teaching :)

1. Sounds good.

2. To keep it simple, just center the rasters.

3. Might have dead Supercap on System board - there was another thread with a similar problem - I didn't think this would fix it but it did (from memory).

4. Whole hog, I can help. But do a quick and dirty setup once or twice first.

5. Independant basically - but you should do it at your highest commonly used res.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds good! i'm in ringwood, which isn't too far from where you are. will definetely have to take you up on that offer at some point in the near future.

3. dead supercap ey? hmm, will do some more testing and report back, i might have just been screwing something up. worst comes to worst i can just upload settings off pc everytime. not a huge hassle.

i've put together a BOC screen. was thinking of doing the black borders, but kinda like the look of it without. how important are these in peoples opinions? also, with the borders, i guess you overscan a little into these regions. can you setup powerstrip or something else so that windows window is a little smaller, so that start menu etc aren't in overscan.

0homerj0, the service manual gives figures for horizontal width, which is what i setup according to. so i guess in standard 4:3, it would project over the top and bottom, which i'll then correct by squeezing raster.

also, projector will sit on floor, so natural centre will be a little low for screen. but since i'm squeezing raster, i assume i can then also move it up a little to centre it on the screen (screen is pretty low anyway, and 4:3 image should fully cover it). is there any reason i shouldn't do this, and should instead raise the projector a little?

thanks again for all help ppls.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
From what I was told on my PG and my XG 1352 you need to put the NEC projectors about 7-9% closer then what the manuals say. Do a search on the forum or goto www.curtpalme.com and look at his NEC stuff under tips.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0homerj0
2. Never heard ANY reason not to have your raster centered properly.
"If you are going to be predominantly using one particular scan rate, adjust the centering for that rate so that the actual video is centered, not necessarily the raster. The gap between the raster edge and the start of the video signal is usually wider at the beginning of the scan (back porch) than at the end (front porch)."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post5959080

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.