AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine directed me here for some advice. I'm about to move into a new house and will most likely have about $2000-$2500 to invest in a new TV. I'm looking for the best display for the money (kinda low range, I know), but am looking at this one from Panasonic.

(Can't post a link yet - here's the model...)

Panasonic PT-45LC12

Going to be doing the following...

DVD movies

Video games

TV Viewing

Not sure of the pros/cons of LCD projectors for the above or the benefits of a RP set either.

Any thoughts?

Chris

·
Registered
59 Posts
The best advice would be to read some FAQ's regarding LCD technology. Find out if it's what you want.

Also do some research here on the exact model you are interested in. There's sure to be comments on the set here. Once you have more specific quesitons I'm sure you'll get more hits.

Best of luck.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
The Panasonic PT-45LC12 doesn't appeal to me. Every time I've seen one the green push was really bad. If you do a search on PT-45LC12 you should be able to find some owner opinions.

It's selling now as a close out item.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Are you sure it is green push you are talking about?

If the screen is predominantly green in the dark areas - or even in the white/bright areas - that is not green push. It is the grayscale being off, and very badly. This is curable via an elaborate, fullscale calibration like mine, or in this case even by a more simple, straight ISF-only calibration.

On my 65" Panny, the green in the darks was bad till the unit warmed up, then it aligned itself with the changes I had made in the service menu and from then on it stayed at D6500K. But whenever I would turn it on, the pic would be very greeninsh in all the darks, and I would have to wait quite awhile for it to achieve true D6500K. At least half an hour.

After putting up with that for more than a year, I finally went into the focus block settings while it was still cold and redid the green screen control, which was evidently set too high from the factory.

It now tracks the D6500K perfectly from the moment I turn it on, and there are no changes in the grayscale as the unit warms up.

You can look at its pic on my website, below, if you want to see what a Panny can truly look like. As I have been saying for years, I don't know of a better picture available than the Panasonic HD pic.

Mr Bob

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Bob
Are you sure it is green push you are talking about?

If the screen is predominantly green in the dark areas - or even in the white/bright areas - that is not green push. It is the grayscale being off, and very badly.

Mr Bob
Maybe not.

Then the grayscale was way off on every set that I've ever seen. Bright whites, green grass, dark areas were all very green. Worse than the greenest Samsung DLP sets that I've seen.

Have you calibrated a Panasonic PT-45LC12 LCD set?

I like the LC13 sets a lot better.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Quote:

Have you calibrated a Panasonic PT-45LC12 LCD set?

No, haven't had the pleasure yet.

Mr Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.