AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20x10 office in which I have my desk on one of the 10' walls...I want to create a small "screening room" by putting the image on the 10' wall opposite my desk. The ceiling peaks in the middle 2 feet or so higher than the side walls. Dead center at the peak is a ceiling fan. The ceiling slopes down from the fan to each short wall at about 10-15 degrees which are (obviously) 10 feet away.

For months I've envisioned a standard flat screen TV about 60", but lately I've begun contemplating a projector-based system primarily because there is a lot of display stuff on the wall that would have to be displaced for a TV but a screen could easily be built into the ceiling (accessible attic directly above) that could be lowered when needed, hiding everything but the speakers (most likely flush mounted).

Is there any reason I can't put a projector on the sloped ceiling (squeezed between the fan and the ceiling), projecting the image down toward the lower wall? Given that the projector will be about 9 feet from the wall, how big an image could I expect/create? Also, the viewing position would be right under the fan (ten feet away). For that distance is the projector overkill? What questions should I be asking? As you can tell I'm very knew at this...always been a TV guy (56"" DLP in Living room).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why 720p? Is there a reason I shouldn't go 1080p?

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you can find a short throw 1080p in budget, I don't see why not. I just know the model I listed throws a big bright image from short distance.

I own a hd20, which is 1080p and like it, but placing it is...challenging. I placed mine 16 feet from the wall.

Disclaimer, I'm new to projectors, so let so let some wiser folks chime in.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, throw distance. That's what was missing. Thanks.

How far off axis (to the side) can a projector be placed...if I want to go back farther I'll have to offset it to the side to avoid the ceiling fan.

Or on top of my desk (a 6-ft armoir-style)...would require rewiring my fan to eliminate the cord though. May in fact be easier...

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Spend some time evaluating your room. You could ceiling-mount the PJ on a pole just below the fan's elevation (and behind it) and still project the top of the image at a suitable (viewable) height. I liked your 6' desk concept as well although just using the desk would be moving the PJ. I think this would work well seeing as when you're viewing the PJ you'd most likely NOT be using the desk. Also, consider models with "lens shift" adjustments because you don't want to have to use "keystone" adjustments - they force the PJ's internal scaler on and tend to fuzzy-up the image. A lens shift is an optical adjustment of the image. Once you narrow your choices download their manuals and calculate the throw vs image size charts to assure proper fit. Some sites have this automated, search for them!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Will the room be light controlled during your screening events or no? Because that may be a factor. What content are you going to be screening.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I call it a screening room cuz it's too small to be called a true "home theater". It will be for same stuff everyone else watches...DVDs, tv,etc...

The room only has one window which I intend to cover with heavy drapes when necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts