AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, please forgive my ignorance, I'm new to HD camcorders and have just bought a second hand Canon HV30. I wanted to just ask a few questions to anyone willing to help a complete amateur!

Anyway, firstly, I'm missing a few pieces of the whole pack because it was second hand. I apparently need a USB cable and the remote control, but I can't find anywhere on the internet that talks about compatibility of these items.

What USB cable do I need? And also, is it possible to buy a remote for the camcorder? Is there a specific one or is there just a generic canon remote?

Secondly, I am quite confused by the whole HDV mini-DV thing. What mini-dv's do I need to record in High definition? Do they have to be Canon brand or can I use Sony HDVs?

Oh and I read that some people just use these Digital DVCs instead of the HDVs... but can these record in HD? Are they just as good?

And finally, what's the best editing program? And how much is the average cost?

Thanks so much for your help, most of these questions are probably really stupid but please don't beat me up about it!

Cheers

·
Registered
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzhill /forum/post/18151775

Secondly, I am quite confused by the whole HDV mini-DV thing. What mini-dv's do I need to record in High definition? Do they have to be Canon brand or can I use Sony HDVs?

I do not own an HV30, so I cannot comment on the first question, (though i would imagine it's probably just a mini-usb port on there) but I can answer the question about tapes.

The tapes can be any brand (I prefer the panasonic tapes myself), and any good Mini-DV tape will work. Some tapes are higher quality, but do not be fooled into thinking that you need to buy the "HDV" tapes, as they are most likely just the same tape, rebranded with a higher pricetag.

For a good place to get more information specifically on the HV30 check out

http://hv20.com (the hv20, hv30, and hv40 are all pretty similar)

There are many members here, that are members on that forum as well, and i have found the information on there to be very useful.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
jazzhill: pezgod, brings up some good points and that site he listed has just about everything you need to know on the Canon Camcorders there..

Not sure on my Mini-DV verses Mini-HD tapes as I was told you need the HD tapes to record HD material. But if you do some research you will find this to be bogus, so I use both now. Just don't keep on switching brands as this can gum up the heads on your camcorder.

Your HV30 should have came with that cable and remote. My Canon V20 did, it's a great camcorder and produces great images, right now I am also trying out a Sony Memory Stick Camcorder.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The USB is for pictures only (you should be able to just use a card reader instead). You need a firewire cable for video from the tape. Yes it has both, but each is relegated to a specific task for some odd reason.

hv20.com

Dawn your thick skin over there, the mods average about 8yo. Maybe not chronologically, but they're not always the easiest people to get along with.

·
Registered
471 Posts
HDV tapes are higher quality than dv tapes. They are basically the same, but with higher quality to minimize dropouts. You can use regular DV tapes to record in High Def instead of HDV tapes as HDV tapes are costly.

In the past, I used Sony premium tapes, but I noticed on the last batch (as some others noticed) that they have more dropouts than previous batches, leading me to believe that they are not as good as they used to be (I observed this in both my Sony HC3 and Canon HV40). I have since switched to Panasonic HQ tapes and they have been perfect. I also buy in bulk from tapestockonline, way cheaper than store bought.

FWIW, when I first got my HC3, I tried some JVC tapes (I had some leftover from my DV cam) and they simply didn't work, gave me more dropouts than picture.

As for the remote, I never have used it. I have a box of little remotes that came with my cams and I never use them.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Using sony premiums with my hv30 i cant remember a dropout in 9 months.

Pinnacle 12 ultimate works fine with my cam and edited footage can be put on tape sd dvd /hd avchd or BD with a BD burner.

Forgot to say a reasonable quality external mic is is advised.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.