AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just closed on my new house. Over the past 8 months during construction, I have frequently lurked on these boards to learn the ins and outs of home theater. But I still have the following two important questions for my current needs:

(1) Receiver/Amp -- I need a receiver for surround sound in the great room, preferably with 7.1 capability (the walls are pre-wired for two rear speakers and two side surrounds). However, here's the part I don't understand how to address yet -- I also need to be able to send music from the same receiver/amp to the dining room and the deck (both are also pre-wired) so I can play the same music in all three places at once during parties. Can this be accomplished without spending a fortune, and if so, with what recommended equipment?

(2) Speakers -- The great room is 18 x 19, but my wife has decided that we will not put large speakers in it. We will buy bookshelf speakers to put in the entertainment wall unit, a sub hidden in the corner, and reasonably small surrounds. Also, I do not want direct radiators on the sides; I would like dipoles or bipoles for the more diffuse effect. I am considering the Axiom Midi or the Axiom Epic Master system on the one hand (with additional direct radiators from Axiom for the back), or on the other hand, the Boston Acoustics CR line for front and back, with Boston CRC center and Boston VRS Micro side surrounds. Because I can't go test the Axioms anywhere, has anyone had the chance to compare the merits and demerits of these two speaker systems? Is there something substantially better than either the Axioms or Bostons that I should consider instead in a similar price range?

(FYI for the many Diva fans on the board -- There is a room in the basement that will someday be a dedicated theater and I will purchase a big screen HDTV and larger speakers for it someday, when finances allow. I will seriously consider the Divas then, but they are too large [especially the surrouds] for my wife to allow them in the great room on the main level of our house. And trust me -- these issues are non-negotiable with her.)

Thanks in advance for all responses!

·
Registered
94 Posts
There are a couple ways to go in the way of Having Surrond sound in one room and feeding a pair of speakers (stereo) in an other.

#1 A receiver that has an "A" and "B" speaker buttons. This way you can listen to music in the "HT" of the "A" Channel and the "B" channel. Mind you that what ever is playing on "A" will also come out of "B" so if you want to relax and watch a movie the other room has no choice but to listen to what ever you listen to. but wait theres more

#2 A receiver that has "MULTI ROOM MULTI SOURCE" this is pretty cool. Some of the Higher end pieces will do this. You could be watching a dvd in one room and some one else can be Listening to something totally different from another source(CD) from the same receiver. ****** note**** some receivers can do this all on their own but some other products require the use of a second amp to power the other ZONE.

As far as speakers go they are as Individual as you are buy what sounds good to you. When picking a speaker bring music that you know very well to make the final decision. and go from there.

thats all I have to say about that

Mark c Sherman

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.