AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks - I am new to UTV but not DirecTV. I've got 2x plain RCA DTV units and one Sony HD100. Circuit City had a special on open box RCA UTVs for 99.95 less $100 rebate, so it is essentially free. No brainer. Bought one.

Replaced older RCA with the new UTV unit and I am in love. This is the tv experience I've been looking for. So much in fact, I am considering adding another to accompany the HD100 and only use the HD100 for HDTV and the UTV for everythinng else.

Questions:

1. Do I have to pay $10 per month for EACH UTV or only once for the service without regard to the number of UTV receivers I put in service?

2. My oval dish has four outputs and all are being used. Since the UTV needs two to be fully functional, how do I add another 3-4 outputs to my dish? Is there anyway to split the existing cable runs?

3. Are there HD upgrade guidelines published somewhere?

4. Is UTV going away? I've read some posts that imply the service is end of life.

I really like the whole approach UTV offers and want to propagate throughout my home.

Thank you.

David

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome to UTV, David

Hopefully some answers to your question:

1. I think you only have to pay $5 extra for the Additional Receiver Charge. You only pay the $10 UTV fee once.

2. You need to purchase a multi-switch. Check out this thread for more information http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=142184

3. Basically, you buy a brand new, unformatted hard drive up to 120 GB. Western Digital seems to work the best. Put in the new hard drive and turn on your UTV. It will format the HD and download all necessary OS over the phone line. This couldn't be much easier. Here's a link with pictures of the entire process. http://www.blindsquirrel.org/UTV/

4. No one knows for sure. MS has reduced the number of employees working on UTV, but there could be any number of reasons for that. One reason could be that they have all the core pieces built and they don't need as many people on the team now. With the exception of enabling a USB network card, ability to add second HD, and remote record, I am very happy with 3.5 and I can't think of anything else I would want right now.

Enjoy your new UTV!

Tim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.