AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I might take the plunge and try one of these puppies out. From what I understand, Tivo was the cool thing but now ReplyTV has surpassed them feature-wise. I'm happy about the way they've stood up to the Entertainment suits so far, so hopefully they'll continue to be a decent company.

My questions are:

1. Why doesn't anyone carry them? They're either out-of-stock everywhere I look on-line or they're just simply not listed (Amazon, Buy.com, Outpost.com, J&R World).

2. Is the consensus that you don't really get 40/80/160/320 hrs. of recording time, but half that? Or is it a third that? Are there still three recording modes, and is the lowest quality really unacceptable? I'm not an audiophile (I listen to my CD collection on mp3 exclusively) but I expect a reasonable level of quality. If I get the 40 hour machine, is it really only 15 hours?

3. About price: am I correct that you now add $250 to the price of any unit, and that that's the only hidden fee?

Thanks for any help you can give. I read the FAQ, but I'm just looking for a human to confirm that I have my facts straight. Thanks.

--Oh one last thing... do you guys just buy the cheap unit and upgrade the hard drive yourself? Is this still possible?

·
Registered
166 Posts
1. The 4000 series was only distributed at a very limited number of places (SonicBlue themselves, Amazon)

2. The "n" hours is the number of standard (low) quality hours (~1GB/hour). Medium quality is ~2GB/h, and high is ~3GB/h, so you really only get 1/2 and 1/3 that number, respectively. I personally use medium for almost everything, and have no complaints.

3. If it's a 4500 series unit, that's correct. The $250 is the only "hidden" fee, and is paid to activate service at SonicBlue's website.

As for upgrading, the 4000-series was upgradable. I'm sure the 4500 is as well, but they're too new to really tell.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Note that the number of hours you get dependson a number of things. If you watch TV on a decent to high quality 27"set and don't sit right on top of it, standard quality (manimum hours) should be fine. If you have a huge projection machine (which most of the complainers about quality have), you will need medium or high. Really you just have to look at it and decide how big your upgrade has to be. I use standard quality for everything (27" Quasar 500 line receiver) , and only occasionally can I notice degradation, particularly on a bad signal station. Of course, I am old and don't sit close to the set

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. they're helpful. Do you think the number of resellers for the 4500 series will also be limited?

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's definitely not. SonicBlue has announced that they'll be sold in circuit city, tweeter stores, and several others (just search this forum).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.