AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time tivo user and I am thinking of giving Replay a try. The feature that interest me most is IVS and the ability to share programs with others and the ability to use this feature to archive shows to disk and I assume burn to cd/dvd.

I have looked that FAQ and did not see these questions answered.

1) Is it possible to use DVArchive without owning a ReplayTV ? From what I am understand DVArchive acts a virtual system. I would to download a show from someone (any volunteers) and burn it to cd/dvd and see what the resulting video is like.

2) How difficult is it to burn archived shows ? If I get the unit I will probably record everything in 480p. Is there a program to take the recording and create files necessary for dvd burning ?

3) Since IVS is critical component for me, where can I get 5040 ? I checked my local RS, Circuit City and Best Buy and found none. I want a store that the accepts returns.

4) Is re-imaging a 55xx series with the IVS enabled OS a realistic option ?

Thanks for your time !

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll answer these to the best of my ability but I hope someone else will jump in to fill in any holes or provide corrections.

1) Um, no. As I understand it, DVArchive's primary function is to be able to extract shows from your ReplayTV device to your PC.

2) There are several methods used to archive shows to DVDs. If you perform a search in this forum, it should pull up quite a number of threads covering this very topic.

3) The best recommendation at the moment is eBay, unfortunately. It's been almost a year since the 5040 has been discontinued. If you were to find a 5040 floating around in a retail chain, it would most likely be in a Radio Shack.

4) As a matter of fact, there's a thread discussing this very issue now - 5504 with Commercial Advance!!!

Hope this helps. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.