AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit new to some of this higher end stuff, and I'm wondering if some of you guys could answer a couple questions:

1. Bi-wiring: They say that bi-wiring improves the sound of speakers (that are capable of it), because the high end and low end are seperately wired to the receiver. So we have 2 pair of wires going to the receiver. But when they hit the receiver, they are merged into a single connection again.... How can this improve the sound?

2. My receiver (Onkyo TX-906 approx 8years old) has an A/B switch.. I believe the A connection has 75 Watts and the B has 35 Watts (I lost the owners manual so I'm not sure..) If I hook up the bi-wire speakers so that the low is on the A and the high on the B (effectively bi-amping), am I going have problems? Is going to affect the sound quality?

THanx in advance guys!

--Garion

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Bi wiring is a hotly debated subject that I doubt will ever be resolved. At best it may reduce back EMF and reduce cable resistance allowing you to spend a little less on wiring. At worst it couldn't hurt and you will sound really knowledgeable when you tell your friends you bi wired your speakers.

Bi amping is generally considered to help improve the sound quality by separating the low and high frequency signals into two discrete paths. I don't think you will have any trouble using the method you described until you run out of headroom with the 35 watt supply which may be sooner than you want.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.