Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm a newbie to Home Theatre, and have been thinking of getting a CRT projector. I've definitely been bitten by the Home Theatre bug.

I've been looking over the forums here and I must say that they are really helpful and the people involved seem very friendly. I hope you don't mind me posting a few questions.

So far, I've come up with two ways to go - either get a projector with good tubes and pay accordingly, or go for a projector with bad tubes and replace them. Obviously, a projector with bad tubes would have to be at a very low price to make it worthwhile. I have a background as an electronics technician and have dabbled with TVs and monitors in the past, so from what I've read, tube replacement shouldn't be too big a problem. The other advantage I see is that I'd know that I was starting out with new tubes and shouldn't have to worry about them for a long time to come.

I'm located in Sydney, Australia, so I'd have to factor in shipping, etc from the US or elsewhere for replacement tubes. Are any of the available brands better price-wise for parts, etc? What would I be looking at for tube costs?

If any of you reading this are in Sydney, or even elsewhere in Australia, who might have projectors for sale could contact me or give me an idea of places to look for them, I would very much appreciate it.

I'd also appreciate some references to places to look for parts and costs etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Phillip Brown

Sydney, Australia

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
It depends on your budget for the finished projector. You can buy a sharp ready to go fairly low hours Barco 800 or 808 for $1200-$2200/us with good tubes much less that retubing one that needs tubes. The problem with rebuilt tubes they are often not plug and play and there seems to be a great deal of fall out in the rebuilt tubes. The key issue with one that needs tubes is you must buy it CHEAP and not be in a hurry to get it going because it my take a couple of tries to get a good rebuilt tube.

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,

Thanks for the info. I guess at this stage, my best option is to find out who sells used projectors in Sydney and to see whats out there.

Time wise I'm not in a great hurry. My main priority is cost - I'm on a limited budget.

Anyone out there have good deals on offer in Sydney?

Regards,

Phil

Phillip Brown

Sydney, Australia

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.