AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm a newbie, so please be gentle! I'm upgrading my receiver from an Onkyo to a Denon 1911. I'll still be using the Onkyo speakers rated at 6 ohms, I believe. Now, the Denon specs say 90W + 90W 8 ohms and 125W + 125 W 6 ohms. In laymans terms, what does that mean? Will my 6 ohm speakers work? I'm assuming they will but I'm just trying to understand the concept here.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The speakers should work fine. A speaker with a lower impedance, lower ohm number, draws more from the amp, hence the higher power rating from the amp when using a lower impedance speaker. Be careful, if the impedance of the speaker is too low, some amps cannot handle that, run too hot, and shut down. 6 ohms is not a tough load. Just about any receiver can handle that. On a side note, since your starting to upgrade your system, consider upgrading your speakers next. It sounds like the system being replaced was a home theatre in a box. You'll hear a big improvement with new speakers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. Thanks Brian. Yea, my setup was the Onkyo 6200. Came with the Onkyo R670 receiver and the HDMI ports fried on me. That's why I'm looking at the Denon now. Next will be speakers. So I'm guesing the higher the ohm on the speakers, the better off I'll be? Probably go for speakers that are 8 ohm?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.