AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the verge of getting a 50" LCD/DLP RP when I thought I should find out a little more about Plasmas... So I have a few qus and would love some help.

1. At what price point do you start getting into the better 50" plasma?

2. HD vs ED vs SD, is there a big between HD and ED (briefly what is ED)?

3. Which manufactures are the considered the main players in the better category of 50" Plasmas?

4. Anything else you think I should consider about plasmas over LCD/DLP RP apart from size?

thanks and I know these are potentially silly qus but I know nothing about plasmas

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm fairly new here myself, but from your questions, I would say you should not be "on the verge" of a purchase.

You need to do a lot more research than can be provided in a few answers, and I would suggest putting off any buying decisions for a few weeks while you read up on the subject.

Start here with the FAQs and relax while you get a chance to figure out what all this HD stuff is all about.

It's far more complex than just buying a TV set 10 years ago.

That's my suggestion.

·
Registered
191 Posts
vivid,

Check out plasma and LCD FAQ. Otherwise:

1. Monitor + options & accessories: $7-9K+

2. HD: 720p/1080i native rez. ED: 480p native. More in FAQ...

3. Runco, Fujitsu, Hitachi, Panasonic, Pioneer...Sony XBR?

4. PQ (debatable) and WAF/style (definitely).

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamin

He's not on the verge of buying a plasma... he's buying a RPTV... he's just doing some checking up on the enemy...

ROFL!!!! :p i like the way you phrased that :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
This link is suspect, IMO. Especially the review: http://www.*******************.com/p...vshootout.html

Its not that I think Panasonic makes displays that don’t rank highly. It’s the weak viewpoint of the author, the incomplete review itself, the lack of any real testing and repeated Pioneer bashing coments like “struggled to get light through phosphorsâ€. How idiotic is that?

I ditto the advice to read a lot so you can see through the BS, then go out and have a look for yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.