AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I've been lurking around various boards for a week or so trying to do homework on my upcoming home theater project. I was wondering if anyone would be able to double check what I have to make sure that everything is going to operate together smoothly since this isn't a cheap hobby to get into!

Since I'm a newbie, and am having a hard time visualizing how it all comes together, I'm mostly concerned about everything being able to hook up to the receiver (HTPC, Blu-ray, Xbox, surround sound, TV, projector.)

My main goal for this system is to play HD movies from an HTPC (using XBMC) through the receiver to a projector. I will be buying almost everything tonight (HTPC + receiver) as long as everything checks out. Here is what I have picked out:

(I had it nicely formatted with links, but I can't post them until I post more.)

HTPC
Case: SILVERSTONE Grandia Series GD05B
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB
MOBO: ASUS AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
GPU: ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP) GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0
Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor
CPU Cooler: (Needed?) SILVERSTONE NT07-AM2 80mm CPU Cooler
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive
Wireless: ASUS PCE-N13 Wireless Adapter

Projector
(Buying next month.)

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 1080P 1920x1080 2000 Lumens Home Theater 3LCD Projector

Blu-Ray Player + Speakers
(Already own - got a deal with the Blu-Ray and surround sound bundled for $150. Will upgrade speakers in the future.)

LG LHB335 1100-Watt Network Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System

Receiver

Yamaha - 675W 5.1-Ch. A/V Home Theater Receiver

A problem that I can't seem to figure out is that the hook ups for the speaker wires are on the back of the Blu-Ray player, and I'm not sure I understand how I would hook those speakers up to the AV receiver so they would work with all of the components since there are no spring clip terminals. Here is the back of the AV receiver:

Any insight at all is much appreciated, as I'm sure I'm missing something completely simple.

Thanks,

Chelsea

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
The speaker wire will certainly hook up to the Yamaha receiver. The white-outlined rectangle in the lower right of the picture of your receiver is where all the speakers hook up. The front left and right speakers' wires go into the round terminals, called 5-way binding posts (look that up). The centre and surround speakers' wires go into the other terminals, which are indeed spring-loaded clips. I assume your Blu-Ray player has HDMI-out that can carry audio too, so you can connect it to your new receiver?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Is the blu-ray player integrated into the receiver, or is an optical disk that installs in the PC? your description/questions seems to be confusing

·
Registered
396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray /forum/post/20773159

Is the blu-ray player integrated into the receiver, or is an optical disk that installs in the PC? your description/questions seems to be confusing

That HT system has an HDMI input, so you could run everything through that. Alternatively, you could scrap the bluray-HT, add a Blu-ray drive to the PC and run everything through a receiver. I would go for a better receiver in that case. I agree with the other comment about Intel vs AMD, just get a i3-2100 with compatible MB and use the integrated graphics.

·
Registered
542 Posts
run away from AMD... not trying to start flame war but Intel is the way to go for HTPC. Also your RCVR is not good either. get a yammy RX-VXXX XXX= 665,465 etc ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.