AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting a decent remote. Just wondering if I get one, will it control all the settings I need.

For instance. Will I be able to switch the inputs on the TV? Will I be able to switch channels on the receiver?

Right now I am using the Cox Communication remote, and it's fine for watching TV, but if I need to switch the input from HD to DVD I have to grab the Sony remote. Same for the DVD player and receiver.

If so, what price level am I looking at? Any recommendations? The Logitech seem to be very popular.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Any of the Harmony remotes will work for you. They all use the same software. The main differences are battery type, , screen type, button type and button layout.

When you create an activity, it asks which device controls the channel, which input the TV should be on, which device controls the volume, which input the receiver should be on if that is part of the activity.

I have had a Harmony 670 for over a year, and have not had to use my original remotes for almost a year.

BB and CC carry many of the models. You can look at what layout you like. You may want to search online for the best price though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Whoa!!

So an action can change the tuner input selector, change the TV video input selector, turn on the dvd player, and begin to play the dvd with one button?

Sounds complicated. Does it record a series of actions so to speak? You then assign this series of actions to a button?

·
Banned
1,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead87 /forum/post/12859032

Whoa!!

So an action can change the tuner input selector, change the TV video input selector, turn on the dvd player, and begin to play the dvd with one button?

Sounds complicated. Does it record a series of actions so to speak? You then assign this series of actions to a button?

Yup....it's super easy to do since their website that you plug the remote into walks you through it...so easy a kid could practically do it. Not remotely complicated (pardon the pun)

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead87 /forum/post/12859032

As indicated above, it is very simple to setup. You don't have to manually program anything. You enter the make and model of your equipment and then Harmony software asks you questions which it uses to setup each activity. Examples (paraphrased) include:

What video input on the TV should be used for the DVD player?

Do you use the TV or the receiver to control the volume on your DVD player?

What audio input does your DVD player use on your receiver?

What video input does your DVD player use on the receiver?

The answers to these and other questions are used to configure each activity.

After each activity is configured, you can "fine tune" the settings, such as the functions and layout on the LCD, the delays between remote commands, and whether to turn other devices off when using this activity, etc.

When you press the Off button, the Harmony remote turns off all devices that are currently on.

PC Magazine Review

Source .

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, very cool. Thanks guys! (crawls out from under rock)

Pfft, I just wanted to make sure it will change the inputs.

Will this thing make coffee too?

·
Registered
69 Posts
My only worry is that my sony 400 dvd changer has some special DVD navigator. Will I be able to navigate the sony?

How would I find out?

·
Registered
547 Posts
If your original remote can do a specific task the harmony can do it too. Even if the harmony doesn't have the code in it's database, it can learn from the original. In some cased it can even do more. For example, to change inputs with the original remote, I have to go into the menu and scroll thru them and select what I want. The harmony downloaded descrete codes for each input, so now I can have a button to go directly to input 6. I don't use it as a button, but the harmony used this code when going to an activity that uses that input.

Some examples I have set up.

My wife likes to watch my Dish DVR using the TV speakers. I like watching with surround sound.

So I set up 2 activities; watch tv and watch tv + rcvr. She hits one button and the TV, and Dish DVR turn on - the remote's volume buttons control the TV and just about every other one works the DVR. I come home and hit the other button; everything that is already on is left alone, but the receiver turns on and goes to the correct input and the TV speakers are turned off - now the volume buttons work the receiver and the lcd has some special buttons to control sound field, etc. that I wanted there.

At the end of the night, I hit the power button - the remote turns the TV speakers back on (getting it ready for the wife in the morning) and turns off everything that is on.

Basic setup is pretty easy, but some of the more complicated "scenerios" can take some time. I had my remote setup in 15-20 minutes, but then I spent about 2 weeks doing some tweeks to get it "just the way I wanted it."

Rob

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
The only thing I can think of that the Harmony might not be able to do, that the Sony remote might is the on screen list of discs. If you have the Sony remote that has the backlit display that shows all of the discs loaded, and what slot they are in, I don't think any Harmony remote will be able to do that. However, if you just mean that you hit a button and you get a list of the discs on your TV screen, or on the front of the changer, then the Harmony will be able to do that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the 1000.. it so easy that my visiting mother-in-law could use it.. now that is huge!!

Also it has a bright clear screen so that I can easily see the right option (with or without my glasses)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys!

One Logitech 670 on the way!

Two more questions.

Are These compatible with Vista 64 bit (Ultimate) as far as the programing goes or is it more of a web based program?

How well does it do with older (4 years?) equipment?

I didn't see anybody complaining about either, so I assume I should be good to go.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Matt,

Good choice. I love my 880. I will tell you that getting to the "Activity" mind set take a little getting used to. It is very different than remotes that control devices. But once you get the hang of it, activity mode/mind set is so much easier and flexible. I could not go back to device mode remotes.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1966 /forum/post/12878825

Are These compatible with Vista 64 bit (Ultimate) as far as the programing goes or is it more of a web based program?

The setup program works fine under Vista 64.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1966 /forum/post/12878825

How well does it do with older (4 years?) equipment?

As long as the equipment you have isn't rare, you should be fine.

Worst case, you learn the commands yourself by pointing your old remote at the front of the Harmony.

·
Registered
929 Posts
How well do these work with Directv DVR's? I have a decent universal remote but upgraded a few things and it was too much of a hassel to reprogram the thing again. I'd like a simpler alternative but want to be sure it will control my DVR. I have the HR 20 TIA

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was comparing the 670 to the 880, which is really only a few buck more, and a lot of the comment were "they liked the 670 better for DVR use". So, I'm assuming both must work fine with DVR boxes.

The big plus for the 670 seems to be the button layout.

It looks similar to my Cox Communications remote, so I'll be right at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltiDawg /forum/post/12885395

Mine dims the lights in our Living Room when we "Watch A DVD."

Very slick.

Hmmmm, will the 670 do dimmers?

I'm going to be remodeling my living room with the HT in mind. I will be putting the HT stuff on a dedicated circuit. [rubs chin]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts