1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to all this, wondering a couple of things:

Which system to get (replay or tivo)?

Which is easier to upgrade and hack?

Which is cheaper in the short and long run?

Should you use a 5400 or 7200 rpm drive?

Do you have to connect it to the phone line?

Can I reprogram channel assignments (make HBO channel 15)?

What happens if replay and tivo go under, will the device work?

Does replay or Tivo send signals to zap hacked boxes?

Was thinking about buying the cheap (discountinued) replay 20 hour one, and buying an 80 gig drive. Any thoughts?

Thanks. Any input would be appreciated. I have a technical background so modifying electronics, programming, and installing hardware is no problem.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You'll find tons of info and comparisons, etc. by searching both here and in the Tivo forum. That said, I'll take a shot at your questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
New to all this, wondering a couple of things:

Which system to get (replay or tivo)?
There are pros and cons to both. Ask a Tivo owner (like me) and they'll tell you Tivo is better, and vice-versa for a ReplayTV owner.
Quote:

Which is easier to upgrade and hack?
Well, they can both be upgraded rather easily. Current Replays seem to have trouble above 160MB total capacity, while Tivos can go much larger (2 120 GB drives is the largest I've heard). Probably due to the 4MB memory in the Replay vs. the 16-32MB in the Tivo.

As far as other hacks, Tivos are better currently (IMHO). For example, there is a hack to run a web server on your Tivo, which allows you to control the Tivo in real-time from anywhere on the Internet. Plus the network card hack that's been implemented (search for TivoWeb and TivoNet in the Tivo underground forum). Some have increased the standard 16MB or RAM in a stand-alone Tivo to 32MB.
Quote:

Which is cheaper in the short and long run?
Well, if you're talking about the stand-alone models, Replays can be found cheaper. If you're interested in an integrated DirecTV/Tivo system, they are pretty cheap... $99 in Circuit City right now, and you can record 2 things at once with them.
Quote:

Should you use a 5400 or 7200 rpm drive?
5400 is better, since they typically generate less heat and are quieter.
Quote:

Do you have to connect it to the phone line?
Officially, yes, assuming you want to receive the guide data. Replays have about 8 days of data, while Tivos have about 10-12, so you have to dial in at least once every so often to keep it updated. Unofficially, you can install a network card in the Tivo and use your existing Internet connection to download data.
Quote:

Can I reprogram channel assignments (make HBO channel 15)?
I think you can do this more easily with a Replay than with a Tivo. Not sure of the details though for either of them.
Quote:

What happens if replay and tivo go under, will the device work?
Not much chance of that happening with either company. If it did happen, I feel pretty confident that an "alternative" guide service would spring up...
Quote:

Does replay or Tivo send signals to zap hacked boxes?
No.
Quote:

Was thinking about buying the cheap (discountinued) replay 20 hour one, and buying an 80 gig drive. Any thoughts?
That would get you some decent storage for a reasonable price!
Quote:

Thanks. Any input would be appreciated. I have a technical background so modifying electronics, programming, and installing hardware is no problem.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
I have a technical background so modifying electronics, programming, and installing hardware is no problem.
Elvis you need one of each. I'd start with the closeout Showstopper (a bargain and no extra fees or $250 additional charge upfront) to get going and later on you can pick up a used Tivo and do all kinds of things with it for very little cost. ;) ;) I wouldn't buy a new Tivo in your case right now those are harder to deal with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.