AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just signed up for Dish Network and am scheduled to have it installed in a few weeks. I have been looking around on the net for a solution to my problem and can't seem to find one, so I am hoping that someone here can be of some help.

I currently have two TV's in the house, although within 6 months there are going to be 4. (I am in the process of finishing my basement & guest room)

Being that only two of the four tv's max would be used at a time, I would like to avoid paying for the extra receiver. What would be the best/is there a solution that would allow me to hook 4 tv's up to a dual tuner receiver and have it "select" which is the proper receiver based on availability?

If that is not possible, is there a device that I can use to "share" a receiver among two TV's recognizing that "only one TV can have control of the receiver at a time". I would still want to be able to use the remote control. (ex. I could hook the guest room and the living room to the same receiver because those TV's would never be on at the same time, but be able to change the channel from either place.)

Thanks

-Ken

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
You can't use the two tuners in a sat box as if they were separate entities. IOW, the box only has one output, the two tuners are used for DVR functions. You can watch one channel while recording another.

You can send the output to multiple TVs. Just send the output of the Sat box to a splitter and each TV will watch the same channel. Controlling the box from those other locations will be an issue, but this is possible. The work arounds and effort required to do this make me think it would be worth it to have the extra reciever for 5 bucks a month.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Wrong fletch999.

Actually you can use Dish DVR's as though they are 2 separate tuners . The 522, 625 and 942 (HD) are dual tuner units with 2 outputs . In dual mode, they operate exactly like 2 seperate receivers that share a hard drive . They can also be configured in single mode .

The only thing is you will need to decide which outputs (TV1 or TV2) to distribute to which TV's because it doesn't have the smarts to switch to Tuner 2 if Tuner 1 is in use . BUT, that's only for live TV. Once you start using a DVR, you will probably watch very little live TV . So you CAN watch 2 different recorded shows at the same time on 2 different TV's while recording 2 live shows .

You can find more info on satellite on these forums:

*************.us/
http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php?s=

·
Registered
626 Posts
I would get a 2-up modulator with IR passthrough.

Tune to channel xx for tuner1, tune to channel xy for tuner two. Each tv has an IR receiver that passes the remote through to the tuner(s). I do the same thing with replaytvs (2), a dvd player, and a vcr. This is nice, because I can tune all TVs to one station (device) and travel between rooms doing stuff while "watching" tv.

my stuff is channelplus.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Sorry aeblank but you're wrong too . TV2 on the Dish receivers is UHF remote only . Stupid isn't it ?

BTW TV2 does have a frequency agile modulator built in (TV1 is channel 3/4) ) . You'd need to use 2 remotes and 1 of them would have to be a Dish UHF remote .

So if you don't mind juggling 2 remotes, you can combine TV1 and TV2 without even using modulators .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.