AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I really hope someone here can either point me to somewhere with a guide on how to do this right, or at least help me out. I'm really in a bind...

I'm in the Orange County LA area (Santa Ana to be exact) and I'm trying to get OTA HDTV signals. I have no desire to get DirecTV or any of that stuff, I'm just trying to get a good signal OTA.

I've done a whole lot of research into components and such, and I finally decided to get the Mitsubishi Settop box. Unfortunately none of the local dealers had them in stock so I bought the Panny from Fry's so I could return it later if it stunk.

We also just bought the Radio Shack ATV-1000 antenna, (an indoor loop/rabbit ear combo) and it just isn't working out very well.

I've been looking over the boards and seeing people talking about signal strength and such - how can I measure what kind of signal strength I'm getting? As it is I can't receive ANYTHING with the HDTV STB, and I'm receiving an almost unwatchable analog signal with this antenna.

I'm also living in an apartment complex with a lot of trees, although we are on the very edge of it so it's not too bad. I've considered asking the Housing office if we can mount an antenna on the side of the building up high but before I do I wanted to ask you guys.

What should I do? Should I buy a new indoor Antenna and hope to get better results? Should I take some measurements of some sort?

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm sort of lost at this point because I've never had to deal with OTA signals before. Also, does anyone else live near where I live and can share their experiences? What channels are there that you can receive?

Thank you,

-Justin

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts

Quote:
Should I buy a new indoor Antenna and hope to get better results?
Yes. Buy a radio shack DOUBLE BOWTIE antenna. Try walking all around the house with it (get a long wire). If that doesn't work, report back.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
418 Posts
Justin

First of all I'm assuming the Mits you have is the SR-HD5, not the first generation HD-1000. Do you have the STB set to OTA digital? Next, did you run the channel scan? Or, try to manually tune to 31, 36, 42, 43, 53, 59, 60, 65 or 66. If none of these register a signal then the next step is to check your antenna. Is it a combo VHF/UHF? Switch to a dedicated UHF. Start with the largest one you can get and work your way down. If you still get no signal then you are in seriously dark RF territory. Don't give up though, I know of a couple of OC folks near you who kept trying until they got all nine stations.

Good luck!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Unfortunately you bought the only STB that doesn't have a signal strength meter for OTA. The Mitsubishi does and so does the Sony. I suspect Rabbit ears & a loop (Its the loop that receives UHF channels) aren't going to do much for you, you'd be better off with a bow-tie type which Radio Shack should also sell.

If you point the antenna straight at Mt. Wilson can you get analog KCET on UHF 28 even poorly?, if you can thats a good indication you will get the Digital signals also. You might also try pointing south to San Diego, I sometimes get KGTV-DT on channel 25.1 up here in the San Fernando Valley.

Tony

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I said in my post that I couldn't get the Mitsu cause everyone was out and I got the Panny TU-HDS20.

Thank you all for the quick reply!!!

After carrying the Antenna outside, I've actually gotten the Autoscan on the Panny to Detect that channel 52 is KTTV-DT, but I can't get any video or audio.

I will rush down to Radio Shack right now and buy one of the double bowtie antenna. I will report back in an hour or two with my findings.

Any other advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Again, thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ErMaC:
Actually I said in my post that I couldn't get the Mitsu cause everyone was out and I got the Panny TU-HDS20.

After carrying the Antenna outside, I've actually gotten the Autoscan on the Panny to Detect that channel 52 is KTTV-DT, but I can't get any video or audio.

Whoops, sorry about the STB error.

Don't know what channel 52 is, but KTTV-DT is 65. Also, as I recall, when I was helping someone out in Orange try to grab OTA the first one we were able to get was 59 (PBS) and the hardest one to lock into was 66 (UPN).

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I went to radio shack and they didn't have a plain old "bowtie" antenna that you didn't have to assemble in stock (there was one but it didn't even have a built in amplifier).

I wound up getting this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1862

because it has the bowtie design as well as the reflector. Unfortunately it has a cable attatched to the back of it that is very short so I have to go back to radio shack and buy a female-female RF plug so I can attach my long cable to it. =(

I may go back to Fry's and see if they have a different one besides the Panny since it doesn't do signal strength. What would people recommend at this point since they don't have the Mitsubishi in stock? I need Y Pr Pb outputs, BTW, can't handle RGB, so the RCA is out. I've heard the Sony causes dropouts on some CBS stations or something. What would you recommend?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Pretty much any other STB besides, Sony, RCA and Panny would work for you. I agree about the Sony, I did a side-by-side between it and the Mits and for whatever reason the Sony had very poor signal strength compared to the Mits, using the exact same antenna in the exact same location. Not a scientific test, though.

So your remaining options are the Hughes, Zenith and Toshiba STB's. The Toshiba unit seems to be quite popular in this forum, although I personally haven't seen it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The Hughes, Toshiba and Mitubishi are all the same Hughes-built unit, they just vary in case and remote control. The Zenith isn't out yet.

I have both the Mitsubishi and Sony, the picture is better on the Sony & I like the 1080i/480i variable mode but the Mits is much more bug free, you have the APG and the UI is better. The Sony doesn't have CBS dropout problems any more, I believe the fix was at the station end. Whichever STB you get, you will need a dish pointing at the 101 satellite (no subscription necessary) in order to get the firmware upgrades and there are patches waiting for the Panny and Sony, none for the Hughes boxes yet.

Tony

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I think I've finally come to the conclusion that I need to get an outdoor antenna. No matter what I try I cannot even get a watchable signal on Analog, let alone digital, so I'm just gonna have to try getting an outdoor one.

What would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
There is a thread started by Glenn_L with a serious discussion of outdoor antennas. The bottom line is that the Channel Master CM4248 is among the best and cam be found for $50. It is 80" long however.

Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.