AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a room above my garage that would be perfect for a home theater. I could set up a projector and never have to move it, which is why I would even consider CRT. I'm intrigued by heavily discounted prices and the high picture quality I have read about in this forum. How do you who have these beasts handle the weight when you are manuvering these projectors. I have set my outer limit at 100lbs for audio gear due to manuverability and my experence with 100+ lbs power amps. My advantage is that I may never have to move it once in position. However, getting it into position scares the heck out of me. I hate to limit myself to "entry" level projectors due to weight. Are my concerns with weight valid? Which lower weight projectors are recommended? If I'm so concerned, should I even consider CRT?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

Why worry about weight? A high-performance 8" CRT might weigh 140 pounds, so what? Get some buddies to help you up the stairs, and rent a Genie lift if you need to hoist it onto a ceiling bracket. My Wisconsin customer, Paul Gere, built a fantastic above-garage system in Wisconsin three years ago, featured here: http://www.etechvideo.com/

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
I'm with Tim. Weight shouldn't be that big of a factor unless you have a physical disability that limits what you can do with the projector by yourself. If so, just get some buddies over for pizza and promise them movies when you get things set up.

Even when weighing in at 150lbs or so, these things are still *much much* lighter and easier to manuever than a 55" RPTV (and the image looks so much better also).

Cary

PS. I reread your question and realize that I didn't really answer it. I've had two 7" projectors (Electrohome ECPs) that weigh 100lbs each. These are pretty easy to pick up and move around myself (I'm 6'3" and 200lbs myself). It took two people to ceiling mount it though. My current projector is a 8" Electrohome which I believe weighs 140lbs. I had my wife help me carry it from the truck to the upstairs theater room. When I mounted it on the ceiling, it took a total of three people to lift it and my 13 year-old son to stand on the coffee table and giude it into the mount.

It's an inconvenience at worst but it's only a one-time event and you get to enjoy it for thousands of hours after that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tim,

Don't worry about weight. You can rig inexpensive pulleys to the ceiling and hoist the projector in place.

Regardless if you choose, a 100 lbs or 180 lbs projector, you will still need 3 people, in total,l to mount it unless you rent a lift as suggested in the above reply.

You would be much happier if you purchase a 8-9 inch projector rather than a 5 1/2 -7 inch projector. Although NEC 6200 or 9200, 7 inch CRTs, are great projectors, but they are more than 100 lbs.

Good luck and forget the weight the issue.

J Green

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
PUt up a piece of 3/4" plywood that spans three studs. You can then hang anything from that plywood.

3 strong friends and a case of beer will get even a 200 lb beast onto the ceiling.

Curt

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wctug
Are my concerns with weight valid? Which lower weight projectors are recommended? If I'm so concerned, should I even consider CRT?
wctug, welcome to the Forum. You have at this point two conflicting values to some extent. On the one hand, you seem to have a preference for CRT. On the other hand, you seem to have a preference for a projector that doesn't weigh a ton. On the CRT forum, you will be told: "Go with CRT and figure out how to deal with the weight." Your other option, of course, is to consider a digital projector. If you're sold on CRT, great. But if weight (or other setup issues) are important to you, you might want to consider a digital projector. You might be pleasantly surprised at the quality of picture you can achieve from a reasonably priced digital . . . or not. In any event, it doesn't hurt to consider all the options. Reading this forum and the digital forums for a few weeks can give you a lot of ideas.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Smitty. Obviously, yours is the voice of reason and I have considered other options. (I even have three friends who would do almost anything for a case of beer, but it would cost me dinner as well.) Seriously, my primary concern is quality of picture and not desiring to upgrade shortly after my purchase. "Shorty", I'd like to define as many years. Technology is moving forward very quickly and bringing down price as progresses. With upgrades to existing technology on the horizon over the next 4-6 months I believe that I could be satisfied with some of the current generation DLP or LCD projectors once they come down in price. However, I'll still come back to the picture quality question. If CRT produces a higher quality picture for the price, I am willing to wrestle one of these beasts into place and enjoy it for years to come. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
"If CRT produces a higher quality picture for the price, I am willing to wrestle one of these beasts into place and enjoy it for years to come."

Now you are starting to sound like you belong in this group...Welcome to the dark side.

Troy

·
Registered
239 Posts
You'll probably love the picture a good DLP puts out...

That is, until you go see what a properly setup 8" or 9" CRT will do.

I love a good hamburger (ground sirloin - grilled medium rare)...

but it doesn't compare to a good fillet mignon with a nice veal reduction and a little truffle oil!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.