AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I thought I'd throw this up before I embark on my reading of every post since the beginning of time:

I will soon be in the market new video for my HT setup. I guess I will need a new DVD player (progressive scan?), a projector, a screen, and whatever else is necessary.

What I want is the best compromise between size and quality for under $5000, and preferably more like $3k-$3500. I want it to be capable of everyday viewing, which for me would consist of satellite (DirecTivo)viewing, video games (Dreamcast, mostly) and DVD viewing. I don't plan on viewing any HDTV. I really don't want to have to worry about burn in. I was all set to buy a 16x9 RPTV recently and aborted my plans due to burn-in horror stories. I am also a stickler about noise - I would like the unit to be as close to silent as possible.

It will be installed in a room with an approximately 7' - 7 1/2' ceiling. There will be no practical size limit to the room - It is a big basement that I will be finishing myself to whatever size for the HT room I wish. I will be able to install the projection unit anywhere.

I am considering building my own progressive scan DVD player/PC, as I would like the ability to play game system emulators on the TV. I'm not sure yet, though, as I am wary of losing the ease and comfortr of use of a consumer DVD player.

As far as all this goes, will I be able to fulfill my desires while keeping within my price range? Any ideas, anyone?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Do some reading about the ae100

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm fairly new to the front projector arena myself. I have similar requirements that you have (including ceiling) and have found that there are several projectors that will fit the bill in the under $5k group. Even at the under $4k limit, there are several to choose from.

I've seen lower-end LCD's and DLP's and seem to prefer the LCD's. I'm sure the higher-end DLP's perform better with fewer artifacts but the lower-end LCD's seem to be a very good compromise for me. My short list is:

Toshiba TLP-MT7: $4k+ High-res 16:9, small, quiet. Good for HDTV

Panasonic PT-LC75u: $2.2k small size, quiet, great price, great reviews here

Panasonic 711XU: $2.7k nice size, good price, higher lumens

NEC LT158: $4k Very small size, higher contrast, a bit noisy and pricey

AE100 at under $2k is well within your budget and seems to be a great performer based on comments around here. Panasonic PT-LC55u at $1.8k is another nice choice if 4:3 SVGA is OK for you.

For your purposes, I would tend to lean to the LC75U. If you're anything like me, it's tough to pick a pj. The more I look, the more I keep looking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.