AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a neophyte to home theater, and am having a couple of problems setting up a new Marantz SR7200. I'm guessing that there's a simple answer to my troubles, but I'm pretty stuck at this point.

Problem #1: For some reason, I can't get the video signal from any source to show on the monitor. For example, I can't get the picture from either DVD or VCR to show on the monitor. However, I CAN get the on-screen display for the receiver's setup screens to show, so I know that the hookup between the monitor and receiver are setup properly. I have tried using both component and s-video outs from the DVD to the receiver, to no avail, and have also run both the VCR and DVD directly to the monitor just to make sure that it wasn't a problem with the players themselves. I AM able to hear the audio from both the DVD and VCR. I have checked the cable hookups again and again, and I'm pretty sure the problem is in setup somewhere. I have multi-room turned off, and have also disabled DC output, whatever that is. Can someone suggest anything?

Problem #2: I have my subwoofer setup, which I know because I get a little thump when I power up the receiver. However, even though I have the subwoofer option in the setup screens set to "yes", I can't get any signal to the sub, either when playing music, or in the speaker test in the speaker setup screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Source Direct cuts out the subwoofer so if that is engaged, turn source direct off. Source direct only works with subwoofer LFE during movie. Stereo music from digital or analog presents NO subwoofer signal in SOURCE DIRECT.

What are you running to your TV, composite or S-video? I am running LD and SVHS to my SR6200 via S-video cables and an S-VIDEO cable to my TV and both LD and SVHS work fine. I also have the composite cable connected to the TV too I think?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cpc
Source Direct cuts out the subwoofer so if that is engaged, turn source direct off. Source direct only works with subwoofer LFE during movie. Stereo music from digital or analog presents NO subwoofer signal in SOURCE DIRECT.

What are you running to your TV, composite or S-video? I am running LD and SVHS to my SR6200 via S-video cables and an S-VIDEO cable to my TV and both LD and SVHS work fine. I also have the composite cable connected to the TV too I think?
CPC,

I will definitely make sure that the Source Direct feature is turned off, although I thought that it was.

As for the video problem, I currently have S-vid running from receiver to TV, and I know the connection works because I can see the receiver's setup screen on the TV. The VCR is connected to the receiver using a RCA cable, and the DVD is connected with composite cables. No video signal from either source is being shown on the TV.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I just set up a SR7200 for a buddy of mine, what a pain!! Totally not user friendly. :( He could not figure the thing out and called on me because I have experience with these things. Someone who is not familiar with setting one up is in for a heap of trouble as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think that you can run composite or component into the receiver and s-video out to the tv...It will not convert component/composite to s-video as far as I know....Unless it has a 3D comb filter built into it, which I don't think it does. I connected his with all S video and there were no problems...

Do you get the annoying static glitches through the speakers when you are changing inputs? Brutal...

The remote is another story all together. We programmed it for his DVD player, but now you can't switch to the DVD input on the amp using the remote!?!?!? Double clicking did not work...I don't know maybe there is something wrong with his?

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Hmmm. Sounds funky. Double check the connections and the assignments if there are any in the setup. Mine works a-ok.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bradad
I just set up a SR7200 for a buddy of mine, what a pain!! Totally not user friendly. :( He could not figure the thing out and called on me because I have experience with these things. Someone who is not familiar with setting one up is in for a heap of trouble as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think that you can run composite or component into the receiver and s-video out to the tv...It will not convert component/composite to s-video as far as I know....Unless it has a 3D comb filter built into it, which I don't think it does. I connected his with all S video and there were no problems...

Do you get the annoying static glitches through the speakers when you are changing inputs? Brutal...

The remote is another story all together. We programmed it for his DVD player, but now you can't switch to the DVD input on the amp using the remote!?!?!? Double clicking did not work...I don't know maybe there is something wrong with his?
Bradad,

WOW, that has got to be it. I will eventually be trying to hook up composite video from the receiver to the TV (I didn't have enough cables when I was doing the initial setup). Given that, I assume that I would have to go with composite cables from DVD to receiver as well? As for the VCR, I don't think I have a choice -- I can only use RCA out for the video. What does that mean in terms of limitations for the cable choices from receiver to TV?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I never would have guessed that there was a compatibility issue between the inputs coming into the receiver and the outputs. I can't believe the manual completely ignores the issue.

I haven't yet tried to program the remote. Actually, I did briefly yesterday, and couldn't get it to work. Generally, I find that the manual is pretty bad.

Thanks again,

Wes

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just got some answers from Marantz.

Regarding the subwoofer, the diagram on the manual is incorrect. There are apparently two subwoofer jacks, and the diagram shows the wrong one being used. The other potential issue is that the front and center speakers must be set to "small" in the setup. I had set them to large, as per the speaker's setup instructions.

Regarding the cables, I realized that I was mixing up my terms. I am using component video cables from the DVD, not composite. Whatever the case, the tech support person told me that cables can't be mixed at all. If I want to use the component video outputs on the DVD, I should go directly to the monitor. Any video signals that I want the receiver to switch would have to be the same type of cable. Bradad, you were absolutely right on that one.

Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Funny,

When I went over to my buddies place he was using component video out of his DVD player into the receiver and then S-video out of the receiver into the tv...I yanked the component cables immediately and connected s-video out of his DVD player into the receiver...It was a total waste of his money to buy the component cables since his tv does not have component inputs on it...

As far as your setup is concerned, it all depends on what inputs you have on your display. If you have component inputs use them, if not s-vid...the unfortunate thing with the Marantz is that you need an extra set of cables to connect the receiver to your display device for setup...after that, as far as I am concerned, you could take the receiver out of the loop and connect your equipment directly to your display. (unless you have multiple sources and not enough inputs on the back of your tv OR your are dubbing from one source to another) Most tv's have multiple inputs though, but you would have to use one input for each different source you have. So your DVD would be on input one on your tv (S-vid/component input), VCR on input two (composite), etc...If you only have one S-video in on your TV and more than one source with s-video out, then you would have to go into the Marantz first as use it as your video switcher....get the idea? :D

·
Registered
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bradad
Try holding the DVD button down for 3-4 seconds.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Thanks JRace,

I will let my buddy know to give this a try! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.