AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a total newbie to home theater. We recently had a son and find we are spending all of our time at home, so I'm taking it upon myself to finish off my man cave. I've been using a first gen Bose 1-2-3 and think it is finally time to hook up a real system. I initially had an order set to go on Amazon for the Onkyo HT-5400 HTib but after reading through this forum I got gun shy. The price was great ($379 Amazon Prime) and I had to talk myself into instead buying better stuff I'd be happier with later. I do have a few questions about setting everything up and speaker choices/placement.

This weekend I'm mounting our 58in Samsung plasma and running the wires, etc with a Power Bridge kit. No real questions there.

On the way are as follows:

Denon 1911 ($200 shipped from MacMall, Denon refurb. I decided to gamble on what I thought was a killer price on a capable receiver. 15 bucks for a 1yr replacement. I hope the gamble pays off, it kept the price down.)

JAMO Studio S 606 HCS 3 5.0-CH home theater speaker system. ($399 Vann's) Again, in reading the reviews, I felt this move was serious bang for the buck. I added the Jamo Sub 210 for $149. Was considering something from BIV in that price range if I could find it.

My basement is finished with drywall and tile floor. The home theater area is about 20W by 35L and a large L shaped sectional is about 10-11 feet from the TV. There is quite a lot of room behind the sectional to the back wall. (Pool table later.) The ceiling is about 7.5. I had initially thought a 5.1 setup but think I'm going to pick up another set of Jamo 603s for the 7.1 Here are my questions:

1. Is there any limit on how far back the rear surrounds can go? I'd like to put them on the far back wall but can ceiling mount them if they'll sound better.

2. I found a set of Jamo e8sur.2 on Craigslist for $125 and will definitely pick them up if I can. Otherwise I'm getting a set of 603's. If I get the E8's which set should I use as rears and sides? If I can't find the Jamo set, are the Polk Monitor 30's a good alternative?

3. Alternatively, I would consider doing a Dolby PLiiz height setup but the ceiling is kind of low for that and the big floor standing fronts kind of negate the idea. Am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
You have a large volume to fill, so the Jamo 606 was a good choice. As for the two additional speakers, you don't want them much further away from the listening position than the side surrounds.

I think your Jamo 210 sub is going to be seriously challenged and you will probably want to add a second unit at the very least, or a larger sub to supplement the Jamo when the budget rebounds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.