Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

I've been enjoying reading all the great info that goes up here for a while now, and finally decided to post a question.

Since graduating from school I've been slowly building up the home theater and am getting ready to make the projector plunge. I've got a pretty decent sound setup going and now am looking for a picture big enough to be worthy of the audio. Eventually (probably 6-24 monthes) I'll probably be looking for a vph-127xq and htpc, but am poking around to see if I can get into something on the cheap to fill the gap for now.

Cutting to the chase....

I have a line on a super cheap ($75) surplused vph-1020q, and its local so no $hipping. The good news is it seems to be in pretty good shape, lenses and tubes seem clear when powered up with test pattern (still need to test with video source). Bad news is blue tube doesn't come on, so assuming either tube or board is gone (could just be bad connection but not counting on it). I am an EE, so tinkering and swapping boards/tubes doesn't scare me too much (I probably should be afraid).

My main question is, will the price and availability of parts/tubes turn this seemingly good deal into a money pit? IE will I end up spending more replacing the dreaded blue tube, than if I had just bought a $300-$400 103x/104x on ebay? Anyone got any similarly "high mileage" but clean SD-187b's out there they could hook me up with for cheap? (That's probably like asking for cheap gold bars, but hey its worth a shot) I also may have a line on a cheap new in box but untested 07MAC2(B) tube. Anyone know what these are used in? Anyone interested and have a "high mileage" 187b they'd want to trade for it?

Are their any folks who sell used projectors and/or parts in the Phonix, AZ area?

Thanks for all your help, and patience with the over-excited newbie

Rob Smith

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
YADA YADA and so on........

If I would have kept reading I could have givin you more info LOL

The 1020 will not do a progressive image, read, use of a line doubler, its video only.

Most used tubes sell for 300.00+ so I dont know if retubing that old unit would really benifit you, especially since your considering a 12XX. I personally beleive the 1031 is a great little projector that will give results of much higher end projectors. Ask GAME PIMP (Jason) he sounds just like I do on these models, WE LOVE EM!

For 75.00 it may be worth buying the 1020 and parting it out on e bay. I know you could get that just for the lenses and the other two good tubes, especially if there SD-187 with little wear or no burn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.