AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for a while, and as it's now time for me to get some speakers I'm coming out of the woodwork.

The bottom line: I want the very most bang for my buck, and I don't mind buying in pieces.

The room I'm working with is about 15ftx12ft. After doing a little research, I picked up an Onkyo SR500 reciever for $250. Due to a snafu, it has not yet been shipped, so please speak now if I'm making a bad decision. My TV (AKAI CFT2790=rebadged Samsung TXL2791F) has component ins, but no HD support so I'm thinking svideo should be very close in quality, and I'd rather put the cash into sound.

So anyway, what speakers should I get for a $200-300 reciever? I have been thinking about either some NHT SC3s from an NHT outlet, or the Rocket RS150s as my right and left front channel speakers. I've also heard good things about Paradigm's Micro/Atom/Titan lineup. I don't know if this is overkill, but my gut says the money should go to the speakers.

My dilemma: If I get a nice pair of speakers, I'm going to have to deal with a 2 channel setup for a while before I can add the rest of the set.

After seeing the enthusiam for the Rockets, I am thinking they might be a good choice. The Rocket RS150s seem really great, but at their price I would only have the pair for quite a while. I wish there was an Onix set just a hair less expensive. However, if I went with these, I could potentially get some meatier fronts and put the RS150s around back. The real drawback here is that I would have to shell out at least $100 for stands which I would rather spend on speakers. I talked to Sean at ********** today and he told me in order to get a nice low end out of them they couldn't be wall mounted.

The NHT SC3s suffer from the same stand problem, but when I head over to the outlet I'll have to check and see if I can swing a set of SC4 towers.

Suggestions for tower speakers or wall mounted speakers would be great. Between my cats jumping up on them and the price of the stands, I am pretty wary of stand-based solutions, yet my quest of bang for buck keeps leading me back to them.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I also have an Onkyo and like it. It isn't the best, but very good when compared to most others. It is also extremely durable with no heard-of problems. It tends to have a 'darker' sound. A little bit smoother than others. This unit would be best matched with brighter sounding speakers similar to NHT that you mentioned.

I've never been able to afford separates or anything higher than the typical upper priced consumer label. I did compare it with equals in the market such as Denon & Yamaha. Yamaha had the clearest, most accurate sound, then next the Denon, and then the Onkyo. I didn't even notice the difference until the units were demo'd side by side and switched quickly from one to the other with the same speakers. It depends on your tastes, some don't like the harshness that comes from accurate equipment. Onkyo tends to smooth this out. So if you get brighter speakers it should even it out nicely. Spend more on the speakers than the receiver/amp

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm going to wait a bit for the Onix ELT set. It's more than I really want to spend but in the end I think it will be cheaper than buying one piece at a time.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.