AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought the Onkyo HT 780S, and I am replacing the speaker wire there with 16 gauge wire. I'm new to all of this, so my question is this: Once I strip the plastic off of the 16 gauge wire, should I twist all of the small copper wires together before putting it into the back of the speakers and the receiver, or is that something that should not be done? Also, how tight does the wire have to be to connect to the receiver using the knobs that you twist? Any thoughts here would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
What Speakers are you using and how long are the runs from the receiver. 16 is ok for shorter runs, but I use 12 gauge for everything, that is just me... Anyway, yes if your using bare wire to terminals I always twist the ends clockwise so the strands are all togethor. Also, you want to tighten up the connection fairly snug, but don't take a visegrip to it or impact gun :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! I figured that's what you do, but I wanted to be sure in case I was wrong and turned it on and something blew on me :) I wasn't sure if I should use the pins that came with the speaker wire somewhere, but I can't see where those would be used.

It's kind of tricky to keep all of the little wires together sometimes when attaching them to the knobs on the back of the receiver. I guess twisting them together tighter would solve a lot of that.

Also, my runs range from ~5 ft. to ~25 ft.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Yep twisting them so there are no lose strands is the way to go and then securing them under the knobs tightly. You don't want any lose strands making contact with the other terminals or your receiver may shutdown and go into protection mode. Some of the knobs on receivers will accomodate those pins you mention. On the back of each knob you may have a hole that you stick the pin into and tighten down with the knob. I like just using a bare wire connection. You should be ok on the 25ft runs depending on your Ohm rating of those speakers, you may want to consider 14 gauge.

What speakers will you be using?

Randy

Axiom M60's VP150 EP350 4-Qs8's 7.1

Denon 2805

Sanyo Z2 Projector

Panasonic S97S HDMI DVD

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
16 AWG is fine for his application.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
yep but there is nothing wrong with over building something, especially as cheap as wire costs, unless your on the Monster bandwagon. Most people think I'm crazy for wiring my house with 12-2, oh well :) Your correct, he will be fine as 16 AWG will drive a 4 ohm load upto 25ft, and most likely this would not apply for the speakers he is planning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.