AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if these are answered elsewhere - I did search, but perhaps not effectively.

I'm coming back to New York after quite a few years in London. In London, I've used a Mac mini with Elgato solutions and been pretty happy with it. I know the US market market is rather different, but I'd like to give it a try. I'm asking in the OTA forum about actual reception, so let's assume that's OK.

I'm happy with OTA network TV. I know that ClearQAM is on the way out, if TWC hasn't already killed it.

Reading between the lines, it looks like people use the Silicon Dust HD HomeRun HDHR3-US. This is as opposed to two EyeTV Hybrids, right? And the advantage is I can stream, but it needs a decent network. Any other issues? EyeTV is controlled by the standard Mac remote, or a Harmony device, and that controls the HomeRun for channel switching, so the (fugly!) box can be put away somewhere?

And there's no point in the Prime because neither the Mac nor Elgato software support CableCard?

What are the problems people experience most commonly?

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
In London, I've used a Mac mini with Elgato solutions and been pretty happy with it.

that's great to hear
Quote:
it looks like people use the Silicon Dust HD HomeRun HDHR3

right, you'll be fine with that for ATSC and much better off than with a Hybrid or two, which suck because, well, they're cheap USB sticks. The tuner box can be wired anywhere on your network, and yes, even out of sight. Some preferred the older models of HD Homerun with two coax inputs so they could do ATSC and ClearQAM, but as you say, you're happy with OTA anyway.
Quote:
And there's no point in the Prime because neither the Mac nor Elgato software support CableCard?

Right, unless you feel like setting up a cheap WIndows PC for your backend of Prime tuner(s) and then just watch the recordings on your Mac front ends, as some users here do just because of the much greater benefits of the Prime.

I've come to dislike the EyeTV software so much after all these years that I play all my EyeTV recordings back from within XBMC, often just by using the Apple remote, but for those times I do need to control EyeTV or set which programs to record I tend just to use an iPad. Remote control of EyeTV as "player" with the little Apple remote has rarely worked seamlessly, but there are lots of options, you'll have to set your network up and see what works out best for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been running 2 HDHR-3s on my network for a few years now and have been very happy with them.

Even a robust N network is going to sag under the strain of 1080i video being pushed through wireless - cable them if you can. I tried to go wireless for the first few weeks and gave up...just too many drop outs and missing frames. Once I cabled the HDHRs and my iMac running EyeTv to a gigabit capable switch (4th gen airport extreme) all was well.

I had to run some RG-6 into my home office to get all the cabling where I needed it.

I run EyeTV with some mods (ETV com skip for commercial marking) and dump all recorded programs into iTunes. Using scripts and iFlicks, those shows come into iTunes and are tagged with art and an email is sent alerting me that they're ready for aTV viewing.

I seldom watch live TV, but when I do I use a combination of the OTA feed into my TVs and InstaTV Pro running on my iPads/iPhones to stream from the HDHR boxes. InstaTV Pro works pretty well, though it does expose you to the wireless issues when streaming to your i-device.

I've gone away from using EyeTVs own streaming app because it hogs CPU by transcoding on the fly when streaming, InstaTV Pro pulls raw from the HDHR boxes with no requirement for a computer to be running.

I'm impartial on EyeTV - it does what I need it to do with minimal fuss. If I was using it to watch live programming, I could see where it would be problematic.

My solution relies on EyeTV recording programs from 2 HDHR boxes fed with OTA signal, ETV Comskip marking commercials as chapter heads, homegrown scripts tagging recorded shows with album art as they come into iTunes and multiple Apple TV boxes (all stock) to view recorded shows. After some initial hiccups getting the scripts ironed out, it's working close to flawlessly.

Cable free for 3 years, and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is all good to know: thanks Cliff and chefklc. I'd be interested in tapping you on those scripts but I've seen enough to be persuaded that it's worth bringing my 2008-era iMac (bought as a "bedroom TV") to see what works.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
well, just so you're prepared, that old an iMac might not do too well with EyeTV playing back live or recorded American 1080i ATSC if your iMac is on the lower CPU end: my 24" 2.4 C2D mid-2007 iMac can just barely handle 1080i at EyeTV's best deinterlace setting while my 15" MBP 2.2 C2D can not quite do it, and my (now given away) 2.0 C2D Macbook certainly could not. You have to back down to the second best setting and the picture suffers as a result, especially if you watch a lot of sports. If you're critical, you may need a better Mac for playback, and just record and serve with the iMac.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess we'll see: it was fine with 1080i via DVB-S satellite on a wireless network (using the European Elgato 310, which is the same idea as the 500 of old). This is more to see that it works; if it does I'll get a new-spec Mac mini as the driver for the living room screen, but I don't want to be buying all that if I can't get a decent picture, and I've been learning about multipath issues; it looks like I'll just have to experiment. Deinterlacing will be a "first world problem"!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I run my stuff from an early 09 imac. I do use the Turbo 264HD stick, and it does give me some extra oomph when transcoding video and dumping it into itunes. It also takes some burden off the CPU when streaming using the EyeTV app. It's worth the money, it's not very much off amazon these days.

Early 09 24" iMac with 8GB running 10.8.3 is handling things just fine at motion adaptive deinterlacing on hdtv.

I'm not too picky about quality, it looks just fine to me on my 42" and 50" HDTVs through the apple TV. I don't record TV to archive it, I watch it in reasonably good quality and a script deletes shows with a playcount of 1 or more every night.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjohnson  /t/1471277/newbie-ste-up-questions#post_23287877

This is all good to know: thanks Cliff and chefklc. I'd be interested in tapping you on those scripts but I've seen enough to be persuaded that it's worth bringing my 2008-era iMac (bought as a "bedroom TV") to see what works.

Be happy to help with the scripting. Just let me know what information you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.