AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey all, I have some questions that I hope you can help me with :)

I have decided to change my stereo setup to surround but I want to keep some of my gear.

What I predict will be a "problem" is that my speakers are pretty hard to drive - it's a pair of Infinity Renaissance 90 (Vintage) and they are rated at 4 Ohm, and since I have problems finding some used Infinity RS 2001 E for surrounds I've settled on some KEF LS50's.

My question is will an AV Receiver like say an Anthem MRX 510 be able to pull that combo without getting strained?

I assume it will be a problem and that I will have to go with a pre/pro and power amp(s) so I will go on to the second part where you suggest a system for me ;)

My requirements:

5.1 will do

Must have analogue inputs for SACD

Must be really good for music listening (since it will be used as such for the most part).

Must include some kind of room-correction software

Don't care about 3D/4k

Obviously the Emotiva XMC-1 would be the obvious choice but I'm a bit concerned with their pre/pro history, Anthem also looks good but their pre/pro's are way too expensive for me.

Any suggestions on a system that would work for me?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I'm sure you know what I mean...

As I mentioned my main speakers are some older Infinities not low sensitivity or ridiculously low impedance as the older ones but they do dip to 3.2 Ohms so I want to make sure I won't have any issues.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
No, I have no way to know what you mean. Stating the low point in the impedance curve isn't very meaningful. We don't even know the frequency at which 3.2 occurs. The nominal impedance is a better guideline, contrary to what people tell you and regardless of how accurate it might be. There are speakers that dip to 1 ohm that are very easy to drive. My view is that amplifiers are one of the least important things in home audio. I suspect JD Smoothies suggestion is probably a good one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts