Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally new to the HDTV world.

I'm asking things like is it time to buy or time to wait? Should I use cable or satelite or? If I buy, what brand for HDTV set..

along with new surround sound....

speakers....

along with what kinda cable options or

satelite choices???

If there are FAQs too that I can read, lemme know!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Being fairly new to the HDTV world myself (don't even have HDTV equipment yet), I think it takes a little bit of time to get "acquainted" with the HDTV world. Every question that you have asked is personal opinion. For example, I feel (and from what I have read) that the Toshiba 65HX81 is equivalent to the Sony KDP-65XBR2, though the Sony has Firewire ports and is $2000 more. Is the Firewire ports worth $2000? Personal opinion. These questions also depend on your budget, location, etc. If your cable company does not offer HDTV, I would go with satellite. But which one? DirecTV has HBO-HD and HDNET and a good amount of sports choices, while Dish has HBO-HD, SHO-HD, and offers more movie choices. So again, personal opinion. If you are looking for a particular model of something I recommend searching for it and seeing what type of comments, etc. it got. I am not an expert at speakers, but those, especially, are personal opinion. I have heard of people liking a $3500 set over a $10000 set. This site is an excellent tool to use when investing in an HDTV and staying up to date. As I keep researching for my perfect Home Theater, more questions arise. Some of which I can find by searching this site, the internet, the manufacturer's site, and if you still have a question ask it here. Many people are willing to help. I hope this answers many of your questions and leads to answering many more. Have fun!

HDCblGuy

·
Registered
864 Posts
I am more or less in your situation. The main difference is that I can't risk getting a lemon display. But if I were in the US I'd get a temporary system based on an RCA 38" (with an extended warranty and a no questions asked return policy).

Then I'd get a cheap progressive DVD player and a DirecTV subscription as the receiver is built-into the RCA F38310.

For movies I don't think you have to spend much money regarding sound. Get a mid-priced receiver and mid-priced speakers from high-value manufactures such as NHT.

That would keep me hunger-free until the HDTV scenario clears up, in a couple of years.

This setup should be around US$3,000

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don't for get "digital television". Depending on your location, you may be able to pick up several DIGITAL television stations off-air, and you might be able to expect BETTER quality than something you could get over cable. This is different than "digital cable" that is transmitted digitally, but is generally much more compressed to fit all those channels on there. You probably won't get HD channels over cable, but most of my local DTV channels transmit HD.

Check out this: http://www.titantv.com

to find any stations broadcasting DTV/HD in your area. I have a HDTV 16:9 on order, but I went ahead and picked up a DirecTV/OA/DTV decoder/recevier (the Toshiba DST3000), and can now experience the wonderful quality that DTV has.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Something you might want to consider is copyright protection that has been discussed. The MPAA is concerned with copy and resale of HDTV and has been pushing for incorporation of hardware into HD components to prevent HD copying as a digital signal. Their efforts may never really take off because it will supposedly make most current HD TVs, STBs obsolete. However, I don't think the copyright protection will affect HD signals coming in over-the-air (OTA); that is, the signal you can receive with a simple UHF antenna. So if you are only concerned with OTA signals, proceed. If you are concerned with satellite signals, potential HD DVDs, you might want to wait to see which way the winds will eventually blow....you don't want to blow alot of money to only find that a few years from now your set-up won't do what you want it to do.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HTbuph
Something you might want to consider is copyright protection that has been discussed. The MPAA is concerned with copy and resale of HDTV and has been pushing for incorporation of hardware into HD components to prevent HD copying as a digital signal. Their efforts may never really take off because it will supposedly make most current HD TVs, STBs obsolete.
I think the future will for sure bring receivers and DVD players with digital out capabilities. It will open the door for a new breed of video proce$$or$ and di$play$.

I bet that digital 960p from DVDs will be out first as part of a DVD player with digital out and a matched video processor.

There are a lot of dollars to be milked out of digital and HD TV.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Agree that there are many unresolved variables that make the purchase of an HDTV especially difficult, today.

I'm particularly impressed with the new LCOS displays that are in 720p native since I especially like watching sports. Appears that DirecTV and Thomson (RCA's new Scenium L50000) are going to be coming out with some interesting joint promotions where you can get a great hardware and software package that should meet the demands of the MPAA and the demanding HDTV viewer. My guess is that this will be announced at the January CES in Las Vegas.

Been a long time coming but we are getting to the "promised land".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.