AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned a Runco 750 for a bit several years ago. Loved it but moved and it stayed behind.

I have discovered that used CRTs, originally far too costly for me to even dream about can be had quite cheaply. I am considering it.

Trouble is, there will be no technical support at hand. I am technologically

adventurous and reasonably competent but I have never set up a CRT. The dealer did the set up on the 750. So . . . apprehension. Incidentally, the set would have been serviced by a trusted and competent technician but . . . it will still be used and will have come a long way and, no doubt, suffer some pretty rough handling enroute.

The tentative plan:

1/ Barco 801 or Runco DTV 852? The first is far less costly but the built-in line doubler of the Runco intrigues me. Will the doubler make a vast difference viewing DVDs. Worth tripling the cost of the used Barco? My present player is not progressive scan, BTW but, if it promises a real difference I would be willing to get a PS model to replace it.

2/ NO CEILING MOUNT: Sorry . . just too daunting getting all that weight up there. I live without the resources of strong people to assist and feel a used model may have to be fiddled with quite a bit so that ready access to the chassis would be best anyhow. So, it would be a coffee table sort of deal. Just getting the 200 pound shipping crate into my house is worrying enough.

3/ I know purists will take offense but screen will be sheet rock painted white . . . worked fine for my original Runco.

My concerns:

a/ Shipping cost is very high . . about $300 US for me. Obviously I will not want to ship it back and forth should problems arise. Of course I worry about receiving the unit DOA from shipping damage.

b/ Will a novice with an instruction manual really be able to get this thing to perform to its potential? Convergence and focusing seemed a mystery on my original PJ and took the dealer several hours to accomplish.

c/I have a satellite system at the moment. The receiver is not HD capable and would require an upgrade. . Will these projectors take the HD signal from these satellite boxes ? Just plug 'em in? I'd hate to pay for this thing only to find out it is not compatible with my HDTV options as I expect HD, while a curiosity at present, will become very important over the next few years.

I assume my VCR, LDP and DVD will just plug into the PJ through RCA jacks, BNC modified if necessary?

d/ Scalers? I just plain don't understand this. Do I have to have one. How much will that cost?

Questions, questions! I'll stop now as this is too long already.

Any advice most appreciated as I am very inexperience in this matter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would upgrade to a 808s or that Runco you mentioned sounds good. Just

remember no matter what invest in a line doubler if you are going to watch

movies from your DVD player. I own a Barco 1209G and I can get over how good it looks with a quality doubler. As far as a painted sheet rock wall, treat yourself to a good screen with about a 1.1 to 1.3 gain. You will thank

me later. A plain white wall does nothing to show off your new projectors potienial. If you are on a budget like most of us are a scaler is going to be much more money than a doubler. If you buy your pj from a reputable seller you will not have to worry about getting a D.O.A and most of them will set it up for your screen dimensions. Curt Palme sells alot of used projectors on Ebay and he calibrates and goes over them before he sells it.

I hope this helps, Bob.

·
Registered
445 Posts
dawziecat -

What part of the world are you in....or, if US, what area? Most of my customers fit a profile similar to yours. I get PJ's up on the ceiling (where they stay), and service them for life. Have done the coffee table thing too.

Second question: Do you know what an HTPC is? People I've built and installed an HTPC for who previously used a doubler wanted to kick themselves (HARD) for not having it from day one!

- Chris

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in RURAL Nova Scotia. In home service on anything is always a problem for rural dwellers.

No, I do not know what an HTPC is . . 'home theatre PC?" It is a substitute for a line doubler?

I will do a search here and see if I can come up with some info but, please keep in mind, this system can not cost a fortune! New high-end PJs and Faroudja stuff is not up for consideration at all!!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
GO FOR THE RUNCO

IT HAS NEW TUBES DOES IT NOT

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE DEALER

HIS WORD IS BETTER THAN A MANUFACTURE

WRITTEN WARRANTY

XANATOS

·
Registered
445 Posts
A Home Theater PC is a substitute for a line-doubler like a nice house is a substitute for a little apartment.....it can do so much more for you.

Yes, a HTPC can line-double, triple, quadruple.....and even better, it can scale (e.g., scan at custom rates between those just mentioned). One of the best things about scaling is that you can run it up to your particular projector's "sweet spot." A decent HTPC w/1 GHz processor, basic hard drive, a DVD drive, 256 DDR, a 32MB ATI Radeon, etc., should cost less than $500 USD.....AND easily competes with Faroudja and others (I know, I've owned those too).

A visit to the HTPC forum's FAQ is highly suggested.

Sorry, but Nova Scotia is too far for me...rural or not. :)

-Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.