AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Utter newbie here working on my 3rd or 4th post. Here's the deal:

I'm about to close on my first home and decided I just can't move in without ditching the old CRT TV and Aiwa shelf stereo for something better. However because I just bought a home I'm tapped out for funds. I'm purchasing a 42" plasma, an OPPO DVD player, and will have about $150 left over for audio. Is there anything out there that will give me some decent sound for that money? I'm not an audiophile by any means, and considering what I've been watching and listening to for the last 10 years, just about anything will be a step up. So, that said, here's some more info on my configuration.

TV Specs:

Inputs:

S-Video

Audio

HDMI In

Composite Video In

Analog Audio Input (for HDMI)

Component (YPbPr/YCbCr)

Outputs:

Composite

Digital Audio Out

I'll be watching TV in a 14 x 16 room with the TV on the long wall and the couch about 8-10 feet away. The ceilings are cathedral and the floors tile. Acoustics will be ugly, but again, I'm no audiophile. The one thing I'd really like is something with nice low-end.

Is there anything that fits this bill that's somewhere near the $150 price range?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
You might consider a good receiver and a pair of speakers to start, and add the others when you get more funds.

Otherwise, refurbed 590 is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Both the 590 and 790 are the imo the best choices at their price point. The 790 gives more digital inputs, somewhat better speakers and a powered sub.

The 590 can be found at your budget $150 shipped and the 790 will run you around $330 shipped refurb closer to $200 and 400 if you want to go new.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
95% of the budget to display/DVD player, and 5% to receiver + 5 speakers + subwoofer sounds out of whack to me. if you want instant surround sound and aren't worried about SQ, then the onkyo 590 is your best bet. if it were me, i would start with a receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers and build from there as the funds allow.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
I would recommend getting the refurbished Onkyo TX-SR304S (price $109 after the $10 off new member coupon and shipping from shoponkyo.com) and a pair of Insignia bookshelf speakers at Best Buy (can usually be found for $50-60)... Don't be fooled by the Insignia name, these speakers are highly regarded on these forums and have some decent low-end.

Then I would save up and buy a subwoofer (can usually find a good one for $80-120), and some Athena WS-15 satellite speakers ($90-100 a pair) when you have the money. This system will sound tremendous IMHO and will give you room to grow in the future should you want a better sound. One thing is for sure, the receiver and bookshelf speakers alone will blow-away your TV's internal speakers.

That said, if you feel like you must have surround sound immediately go with the Onkyo 590 (refurbished). Don't go buy a cheap Target/Walmart no-name brand HTIB that will only last one year and sound horrible..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies so far! I don't need instant surround so I like the idea of starting out basic and building up. There's a lot more flexibility that way to tailor the setup to my particular needs.

Any more recommendations on say a receiver and two bookshelf speakers to start with?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.