Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

First off, let me say that this site fantastic, there is almost too much info . I had done a lot of research here before purchasing my new HD ready monitor and finally took the plunge (when the wife gives the go-ahead on a BIG TV, well its a no-brainer, hehe). I have three main questions that will follow the description of my equipment.

- WS55807 (2400 from Sears + 499 for 5 year adjustments and warranty, price match idea found here, thanks hts !)

- Pioneer 434 (I know it is not the best, but I basically got it for about $150 after the discounts at sears, DVD's look FANTASTIC)

- DirectTV

Questions:

1) I knew before I bought the set that the regular channels on DirectTV would not look that great but I am sure I can make them better. I got Avia and set up the set yesterday and have noticed a little improvement. Right now the DirectTV signal is coming in as 480i. Will a HD DirectTV receiver improve my regular DirectTV channel picture? If not, what else can I do? If so, this brings me to my next question ...

2) There seems to be a lot of different reviews and opinions on the currently available directTV HD receivers. Can anyone recommend the RCA, Sony, or Mits based on my above question, and why?

3) Currently I get local channels through DirectTV but have since learned (here) that this will not give me my local channel's HD signal so I need to get an antenna. I would probably get one that would go up near the dish (minimizing components in the living room for the wife, hehe). Can anyone recommend one they have had lots of success with? especially anyone who lives in the Raleigh, NC area, but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to anyone who comes to my aid. I take full responsiblility for any ignorance, but I am much more informed thanks to this site !!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I Got the DirecTV Sony SAT-HD100 using component video cables (RGB) and I totally saw an improvement on all the channels from DirecTV.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
zx7king-

I'll take stab at answering your questions:

1) No, a HD DirecTV STB will not improve your DirecTV signal except for channels that display HD material (ie. channels 199 and 509). Note ch 509 does not always transmit HD. Instead they will display a SD source in 14x9 format which does look better (if you like side panels) than SD displayed in a 4x3 format. Note; with your Mits 55807, you can expand/stretch/zoom the source to fill the entire display. However, there's only so much you can do with a SD signal. I think you will be impressed with the local DTV signals as compared with cable and even sat stuff.

2) I think you said it already: "lot of different reviews and opinions" but I'll give you my opinion - Mts HD500 (no loud fan).

3) From my experience, most $30 ratshack ant should work for you. But that's from someone living in Silicon Valley not Raleigh, NC. YMMV.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies, i think i am going to go with the Sony SATHD-100, any more advice on the above questions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Channel Master makes great antennas. I got the stealth for 30 bucks without

amplifier. If you live 30 miles or less from towers you do not need amplifier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.