AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm wanting to build a decent system, and I'm doing my best to shy away from Bose. What I've come up with so far is a Denon S-5BD and Harman Kardon BDS 800 speakers. My questions is, is there something different you would recommend. How does cross branding the receiver to the speakers turn out? Any Input is greatly appreciated.

This will be used for Sports, Movies, and Music. Looking to stay in the 5.1 - 7.1 range.

·
Registered
30,815 Posts
First, the Denon is a BD-player + amp (AVR) and, therefore, requires you to add speakers.

Second, the HK is a complete system with player+amp+speakers.

So, either go with the HK as it stands or go with the Denon and buy speakers.

OTOH, for a budget approaching $2000, you can get better performance by going with separate player, AVR and speakers. It will require more work and may not be as sleek.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh okay, I didn't realize the BDS system came with AVR. I'm trying to keep my budget around 2900 - 3200, but I honestly have no idea what to get. Could you point me in the direction of some decent speakers, I think this is where I'm the most confused. I'm very familiar with car audio, but home audio brands seem to be completely different.

·
Registered
30,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxImus /forum/post/20823552

Oh okay, I didn't realize the BDS system came with AVR. I'm trying to keep my budget around 2900 - 3200, but I honestly have no idea what to get. Could you point me in the direction of some decent speakers, I think this is where I'm the most confused. I'm very familiar with car audio, but home audio brands seem to be completely different.

With that budget, you should not be considering any of these life-style systems unless you are forced to by esthetic constraints. You can buy a really nice AVR (Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc) for $500-600 and a solid Blu-ray player for $200 (e.g., Sony or the others noted above).

That will leave you more than $2000 for speakers which will buy you a really nice setup. Look at Paradigm Monitor series, PSB Image series, KEF Q series, B&W 600 series. These will run rings around Bose or any of the packaged sets. There are also on-wall setups from these same brands as well as Definitive Technology and Golden Ear that you might take a look at.

I cannot offer specific individual recommendations/combinations as I am not deeply involved in this end of the market. There are many threads with titles like "Recommend a system for $xxx" and you should scan for them. Or start one on your own but with a more communicative title than this thread.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxImus /forum/post/20823552

There are lots of good brands out there. Kal mentioned some good ones. I like Paradigms myself but speakers are all about personal preference so you have to listen to them to know what you like. One thing about the Paradigm monitors, the new version 7 is about to come out so dealers will be closing out the v6 series soon. You might be able to find a good deal on some closeouts. Also there are some really good internet direct companies that will give a 30 day money back guarantee. This is a good thing to use because speakers will sound different in your room than at the dealer. Check out

Ascend Acoustics as they have some nice bang for the buck speakers as well. If you watch a lot of movies make sure you put back plenty of the budget for a good subwoofer or 2. If you have a big room a good bit of your budget will need to go to subs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.