AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I hope this is the proper place to post this.

Before I begin I want to thank all of you guys on this forum for giving me more than enough information to research and look for as I have been lurking on here for a while.

Now to my problem.  I am looking to build what I would deem an entry level setup mainly turntable and bookshelf speakers to start, I will list what I am leaning towards and it would be great if you guys would be able to let me know if you think I am on the right track or if I should swap out a item I have seen for a different one.  I am trying to keep the budget some where in the $800 to $1000 range if possible.

Turntable

Technics SL-1200 (used if I can find one approx $300)

OR

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon ($400 on amazon)

Amp/Receiver

Lepai 2020 mini amp ($18.00) PLUS PYLE-PRO PP444 Ultra Compact Phono Turntable Preamp ($17.00)

OR

Sherwood RX-4109 105 Watt Stereo Receiver ($130)

Speakers

Audioengine A2 Desktop Speakers ($200) or P4s or A5s if you guys think they are worth the extra expense.

I am not set on any of these items , but they seem to be the names I see the most when looking up equipment in my price range, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you all for your time ! Have a great day.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Turntable: Since you're on a budget, consider an Audio-Technica AT-120.

Receiver: Forget the Lepai. The Sherwood is a decent budget choice.

The Audioengines are powered speakers. You can hook them up to a computer without an amp or receiver. They're not what you want here. You need a passive speaker (which most speakers are). A good inexpensive bookshelf speaker is the Infinity P163.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Not a turntable expert, but those turntables don't have a built-in phono amp so your amplifier is going to have to have a built in phono amp or you will need an external one. I was surprised to see that the Sherwood has a phono input so that AVR would work.

If you did have a turntable with a built-in phono amp you could connect it directly to powered speakers like you were considering - all look into powered Paradigm and M-Audio speakers which are also very good.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinem  /t/1524571/newbie-trying-to-get-the-most-bang-for-my-buck#post_24537595

I hope this is the proper place to post this.

Before I begin I want to thank all of you guys on this forum for giving me more than enough information to research and look for as I have been lurking on here for a while.

Now to my problem.  I am looking to build what I would deem an entry level setup mainly turntable and bookshelf speakers to start, I will list what I am leaning towards and it would be great if you guys would be able to let me know if you think I am on the right track or if I should swap out a item I have seen for a different one.  I am trying to keep the budget some where in the $800 to $1000 range if possible.

Turntable

Technics SL-1200 (used if I can find one approx $300)

OR

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon ($400 on amazon)

Why a turntable? The only logical reason to have a turntable is possession or access to a large stash of vinyl that you already have.

What are your plans for far, far more mainstream forms of media such as BD, DVD, CD, and streaming?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1524571/newbie-trying-to-get-the-most-bang-for-my-buck#post_24539768

Why a turntable? The only logical reason to have a turntable is possession or access to a large stash of vinyl that you already have.

What are your plans for far, far more mainstream forms of media such as BD, DVD, CD, and streaming?
Honestly I wanted to give a listen to some jazz I have gotten into , on vinyl.  My father had a large vinyl collection and it took me a long time to decide I wanted to get into but I really want to give the vinyl experience a chance.  

As far as Home theater, I haven't really started to get on that horse yet.  Near the end of the year I will be in the market for a new TV and speakers; but as it stands my blu ray player / xbox/ and television are doing their job.

ALSO thank you for the advice Mcnarus and mtn-tech

·
Registered
4,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1524571/newbie-trying-to-get-the-most-bang-for-my-buck#post_24539768

No, wait. Turntables are hip. So if you want to increase your hipness (hip-itude?) a turntable might be just the thing.

More seriously, for a certain set of loudness-war era albums that were issued on vinyl, the vinyl is (because of the limitations of the medium) not compressed to death . . .

But if I ever get a tt again, it will be because of my little collection of vinyl in the basement. Although my 45 of "Love Me Do" is sure to be less than than pristine after being played repeatedly on a plastic all-in-one record player back in the day.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I have the A2 speakers and love them. I have them paired with a 8" subwoofer from monoprice and have been very happy with the pairing. As others have said you wont need the receiver/amp, but will need a the phono pre-amp to use them.

Or you could get the Sherwood receiver and pair them with some P4 speakers. Other passive speakers to take a look at are the Cambridge Audio S30s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts