AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to this area of home theater. Although I have had a good 65" HD RPTV and excellent sound for the last two years, I am selling my set-up with my house and buying a bigger house with a media sized room for my new HT. I want to go Front Projection on a screen from 100" - 120" in a room about 12 x 16. I believe a DLP would suite me best since I am picky about having good pic quality with good contrast and black levels. I think my primary choices for a pj are the NEC HT1000, Sharp XV-Z10000U, or the new Yamaha DXP-1. Price is not the primary concern, but I do want to keep it around 5-8k street price. Any input from the knowledgable members here would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
All the projectors you mentioned are good units with the Yami looking really good but it wont be shipping for a while.

The NEC will light up your screen and is a gem for the money.

If you have time on your side wait for the Yamaha to ship to get some feedback. This may be the next king of the hill.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I was leaning towards the NEC anyway, so I think you just pushed me over the edge & I'll get that one. Will there be a noticable loss in pic quality since it's not a native 16 x 9? Also, any idea when the Yamahas will be available? Thanks Again!

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
The nec is a great choice and I do not find any weakness in its picture at all. In fact I think it equals and looks better then some of the HD 2 chip projector. Its a great investment.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Alan,

PJCentral's review of the HT1000 limits screen size to 100" diag in 16X9 mode.

What is your opinion if I used a 128" (102" wide)?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a good question. What does suffer when you go above 100" and how much of an impact would it make? Learning a lot... THANKS!

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Flowers
That's a good question. What does suffer when you go above 100" and how much of an impact would it make? Learning a lot... THANKS!
I have tried the HT1000 at 100" in the economy lamp power setting and with the iris closed, and it was very bright.

IMHO, there would not any problem pushing the screen to 128" , opening the iris and switching into normal lamp power mode.

I am going to be hosting a "movie day" at a client's studio. They have a white shooting stage and I will be projecting the HT1000 as large as possible while maintaining good brightness. I'll post results early next week.

RJ

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
The HT1000 is one of the brightest projectors Ive seen.

I shot a 9 foot wide on a matt white wall and it was plenty bright enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.