AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my grandfather recently passed, and I was looking through some of his stuff and I found a turntable. It is a Marantz TT-155. It appeared to be in very good shape and everything on it was functional when I plugged it in.

Here's where I need some help. The cords coming out of the turntable are one cord that appears to be an RCA type cord, but it is only one of them. The other is a green cord with a metal U clamp on the end. I have plugged the turntable into my surround sound system, but it is not very loud. I was wondering if I needed some sort of preamp in order to make this play at a decent level. This is my main question.

My second question is that the auto lift function of the arm just stopped working. It will raise the arm a little bit, and will slide over when a record is complete, but it doesn't raise it enough to clear the record. I was wondering if this was something that is easily fixable. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
The cords coming out of the turntable are one cord that appears to be an RCA type cord, but it is only one of them.

By only one of them, do you mean there's only one jack? There should be two.

Quote:
The other is a green cord with a metal U clamp on the end.

That's the ground cord. Goes onto a screw at the back of your amp/preamp, which leads us to...
Quote:
I have plugged the turntable into my surround sound system, but it is not very loud. I was wondering if I needed some sort of preamp in order to make this play at a decent level. This is my main question.

Yes, you need a phono preamp, and your AVR presumably does not have one. You can get one for about $50 at www.phonopreamps.com .

You should also consider replacing the stylus and maybe the belt. Google will turn up some information. And see if your turntable is listed at vinylengine.com.

Quote:
My second question is that the auto lift function of the arm just stopped working. It will raise the arm a little bit, and will slide over when a record is complete, but it doesn't raise it enough to clear the record. I was wondering if this was something that is easily fixable.

Often there's a screw somewhere that will adjust the height. Poke around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/18281346

By only one of them, do you mean there's only one jack? There should be two.

Thanks for the help. Yes there is only one, and I think it is white. I'm not with the unit right now, and I am pretty sure that it isn't missing anything. I'll check tomorrow, and see if it is actually missing a wire. Thanks so much

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Yes there is only one, and I think it is white. I'm not with the unit right now, and I am pretty sure that it isn't missing anything.

Unless this is a very strange unit (or so old it's mono), it is missing something. You need two jacks, for left and right channels. Typically, they'd be on a single cord, which splits in the last six inches or so. Look to see if one jack has been sliced off or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I was wrong. The turntablebdoes have two outputs, and I was able to set the arm. I just have two more questions. Does all the preamp do is increase the output level of the turntable, as in does it make the turntable significantly louder. And when I replace the cartridge are there only certain ones that fit with my turntable or is it universal? Sorry if these are basic questions, like I said, I am new to this. Thanks again

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Does all the preamp do is increase the output level of the turntable, as in does it make the turntable significantly louder.

That's one of the things the preamp does. The other thing it does is equalization. When records are made, the bass is reduced and the treble is increased. The phono preamp reverses this, so that the proper frequency balance is restored.

Quote:
And when I replace the cartridge are there only certain ones that fit with my turntable or is it universal?

Most turntables take standard-mount cartridges. Two exceptions:

1) Some ultra-cheap models have fixed cartridges which cannot be replaced; you can only replace the stylus.

2) A few tables take p-mount cartridges, which plug in much more easily than standard mounts.

I'd guess yours takes a standard mount. In particular, if you see four little wires connecting the cartridge to the tonearm, you definitely have a standard mount.

By the way, you do not necessarily have to replace the whole cartridge. You can just replace the stylus. But in that case, you need a stylus made for that particular cartridge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really do appreciate all your help. Once again, I forgot to take pictures of the stylus and cartridge, but I have found a site that has a picture of exactly the one that is on my TT.

This is the set up:

Here is a link to the site I found it on.

I am wondering if this is decent or what? I plan on replacing the stylus, but I was wondering if I should just go ahead and replace the cartridge too. If you think an upgrade is do, I was wondering if you could suggest me a decent cartridge to use. Thanks again. You're the best.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Apparently, this cartridge was designed with a conical stylus—definitely a low-end job. At the very least, I would replace it with the elliptical stylus listed on the page you linked to. And I'd think about replacing the whole cartridge, although that's a bit more complicated than just slipping on a new stylus.

I don't know your turntable or what shape it's in, and I don't know whether you're serious about vinyl or just curious at this stage. Do you just want to get this thing to work, to try it out? If so, then just replace the stylus. If you're serious about vinyl, then maybe a new cart is worth it (though I wouldn't spend too much on a cart for an unknown turntable).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts