AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here i am finally post my thread. I'm here few weeks already and reading all important things. I bought for Christmas Epson Home Cinema 705HD. Actually my sister did and them she sent it to Europe where I live. I have unused living-room 4m width and 5,50m long. I have two walls for cinema and i want to make two different screens. One painted and one with blackout velvet. The bigger one has area for screen 94inch height and 150inch width (aprox. 160" diagonal) so this is gonna be the painted one. The small one is 65inch height and 104inch width (aprox. 120" diagonal) and i want to make the screen for it with blackout velvet.

The distance between the walls and projector is aprox. 4.20m

So this is my living-room. How you see there are windows but we usually watching movies in the night so its dark after all. However there will be curtains when the repair of the room be done.

The other big problem is that i'm watching on the normal white wall... I hate it because the picture is reflecting and the room grow light. And its hard to see the dark areas. So i think a gray color for the screen would be better!

I have so much questions that I don't know from where to start.

I'll wait till the summer to start working on the bigger screen so i'll have time to buy the paints and be sure what exactly I have to do!

May be the biggest problem is that I live in a small country called Bulgaria (yep Stoichkov
). It's very hard to find all paints and velvets which i need. So i'm trying to find a way to import them from another country.

BOC Version

Lets start with the small screen. So I need a blackout velvet... It has to be absolutely white and non-transparent. Hard to find here... My best mate is living in Wien, Austria so he is searching out there. There is a another option cause i have some people in Turkey so there are some fabrics making blackout but however i'll post links before start buying... I need also from a triple black velvet to trim the screen right...? but I want to know do i have to install board behind the screen... I saw so much ways of DIY with boards and without boards behind the screen. Can I skip this? The screen will be too heavy right...?

Painted Version

My neighbour is builder...very good actually so he will help me with the drywall. There is a yellow paint on that wall now so when i start the repair i'll remove it and make it very smooth. Then hopefully i'll be ready with my DIY paint and start painting with a gun (actually the neighbour will
) . So please explain me step by step what to do with the paints.

Sorry one more thing! What paint to use for the other walls in the room? Can you offer some color!

And finally please tell me if you know from where i can get this paints in Europe. Most of the UK sites does not shipping to Bulgaria.

And two small questions:

Is it normal with my Epson 705HD to getting better quality with 720p Bluray rips then 1080p rips? Or its just a encoder issue. The projector is 720p native resolution so I think thats the reason of getting better quality with 720p videos...

How long can be the HDMI cable before start losing quality?

Thanks for everything and sorry for my english.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,904 Posts
Well hello to you!

Welcome...and don't worry about your English. Many of us can hardly do no better and we have had lots of practice.

You have a tall order to fill. A lot of issues that go with your questions. I'll compose a response and post up a bit later so you'll have it when you arise in Bulgaria in the AM. You'll have some answers, and a few more questions for you to answer as well.

OK......back soon.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
To give you answers to one of you last to questions. If 720 is native the 1080 will need to be scaled down, so your picture is only as good as the scaler. Try scaling in the player setting output to 720 and see how the 1080 looks then try sending 1080 letting the projector letting it scale. Use the one that looks best.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vao /forum/post/18354522

Please don't forget me MM!

Sorry, had to disassemble my Office (...entire Home actually...) to accommodate installing all new carpet throughout. Main PC has been out of commission since last Thursday evening.

...........getting on it now.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vao /forum/post/18313270

So here i am finally post my thread.

Likewise....finally here too is your requested response.

Quote:
I'm here few weeks already and reading all important things. I bought for Christmas Epson Home Cinema 705HD. Actually my sister did and them she sent it to Europe where I live.

Where in the EU do you reside? Oh...never mind, I just read where below.

Quote:
I have unused living-room 4m width and 5,50m long. I have two walls for cinema and i want to make two different screens. One painted and one with blackout velvet.(Cloth) The bigger one has area for screen 94inch height and 150inch width (aprox. 160" diagonal) so this is gonna be the painted one. The small one is 65inch height and 104inch width (aprox. 120" diagonal) and i want to make the screen for it with blackout velvet.

The distance between the walls and projector is aprox. 4.20m

So this is my living-room. How you see there are windows but we usually watching movies in the night so its dark after all. However there will be curtains when the repair of the room be done.

No issues there I can see, however I'd be sure to arrange to have Curtain Wall Clips or Velcro on the leading edges of the Curtains that are closest to the Screen to close out any tendency for light leakage.

Quote:
The other big problem is that i'm watching on the normal white wall... I hate it because the picture is reflecting and the room grow light. And its hard to see the dark areas. So i think a gray color for the screen would be better!

Attenuating the light coming off the screen by going with a darker Gray color, as well as hoping that the shade of Gray on the Screen will combat returning reflections is the wrong way to go about solving your problems. Basically, any light that comes from the Screen, at any intensity, will still rebound back to the Screen's surface. You need to address the reflective ability of the adjoining surfaces to eliminate...or in the least mitigate the problem.

The Walls and/or Ceiling need not be Black....nor even really dark, but they do need to be a color that works more toward absorbing and refracting light than reflecting such. Dealing with the reflected light coming from that BIG screen is the trickiest, because the sides/top edges of that Screen obviously come a lot closer to the adjoining Ceiling and side Walls.

Select a please color in "Flat' such as a mid-toned Blue or medium Gray, then use the same color...only 4 shades darker for the Ceiling. If the room is going to be primarily for the purpose it seems to be destined for, then going down the road toward making it as ideal as possible only makes good sense.

Quote:
I have so much questions that I don't know from where to start.

I'll wait till the summer to start working on the bigger screen so i'll have time to buy the paints and be sure what exactly I have to do!

May be the biggest problem is that I live in a small country called Bulgaria (yep Stoichkov
). It's very hard to find all paints and velvets which i need. So i'm trying to find a way to import them from another country.

I'll be glad to help you in that regard. In GB and France there are those who are making Custom painted Screens on a regular basis and they might be willing to send you enough to "DIY".

Quote:
BOC Version

Lets start with the small screen. So I need a blackout velvet... It has to be absolutely white and non-transparent. Hard to find here... My best mate is living in Wien, Austria so he is searching out there. There is a another option cause i have some people in Turkey so there are some fabrics making blackout but however i'll post links before start buying... I need also from a triple black velvet to trim the screen right...? but I want to know do i have to install board behind the screen... I saw so much ways of DIY with boards and without boards behind the screen. Can I skip this? The screen will be too heavy right...?

Personally, I'd suggest your sticking to using a painted board that is large enough that the Trim can be placed directly around and onto the perimeter. Then the entire assembly will simply hang on the wall where you need it and be lightweight enough you can still hang it / remove it by yourself. It might be tricky to find a sheet of flat, smooth material sized out to 120" x 72" you can have cut down, but the search would be worth the end results if you have a good, smooth surface to work with that will accept a higher performance coating.

Just be advised that making a large BOC Screen Frame and stretching out the Fabric is not really as easy as it might seem.

No BOC is ever going to match the visual quality you can get from a painted Screen. Period. So why bother to introduce all that Frame Building, stretching, trimming issues.....yuck.

Quote:
Painted Version

My neighbour is builder...very good actually so he will help me with the drywall. There is a yellow paint on that wall now so when i start the repair i'll remove it and make it very smooth. Then hopefully i'll be ready with my DIY paint and start painting with a gun (actually the neighbour will
) . So please explain me step by step what to do with the paints.

Sorry one more thing! What paint to use for the other walls in the room? Can you offer some color!

I'll send you a PM with some detailed instructions I can copy from other Threads I have posted on. Somehow I think simply telling you to go search for them will not be as productive, nor prevent your needing to come back and ask questions anyway.

As for painting the Room's Walls and Ceiling, as mentioned earlier, a mid tone, Flat color (...Earth Tones or Blues-Grays are best...) for the walls and a darker shade of the same color for the walls will be best.

Quote:
And finally please tell me if you know from where i can get this paints in Europe. Most of the UK sites does not shipping to Bulgaria.

Really, your best bet is that a private individual will accommodate your needs. That is what I'll look into for you. The people involved will do so at the cost of the materials + shipping for an AVS'er (...I'll make certain of that!!!) so that will help you out tremendously.

Quote:
And two small questions:

Small eh?

Quote:
Is it normal with my Epson 705HD to getting better quality with 720p Bluray rips then 1080p rips? Or its just a encoder issue. The projector is 720p native resolution so I think thats the reason of getting better quality with 720p videos...

Both Compression and de-resolution are working against you. Until you have a true 1080 display and there exists true 1080 Ripping software that will also decode 5.1 / 7.1 sound, stick with the Software that does a good job a 720p

Quote:
How long can be the HDMI cable before start losing quality?

That depends upon the Cable. If the conductors inside at at least 24 gauge, you good to go up to 25' with the newest 1080p BluRay sources and HDTV Boxes. Both input higher levels (micro-volts) of signal and the larger diameter conductors pass that signal with far less attenuation. I often use HDMI runs exceeding 40' using 20-22 gauge "non-amplified" Cables, and up to 80' with simple "amp'ed' cables.

Since your using a 720p display, but only sending 1080i / 720p, you'll not have any issues come up at all with a decent 25' to 30' cable connection.

Quote:
Thanks for everything and sorry for my english.

sawright. Besides...my Bulgarian is rusty anyway.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/18355313

Just be advised that making a large BOC Screen Frame and stretching out the Fabric is not really as easy as it might seem.

No BOC is ever going to match the visual quality you can get from a painted Screen. Period. So why bother to introduce all that Frame Building, stretching, trimming issues.....yuck.

Ok so we'll skip this method and go straight to the painted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/18355313

I'll send you a PM with some detailed instructions I can copy from other Threads I have posted on. Somehow I think simply telling you to go search for them will not be as productive, nor prevent your needing to come back and ask questions anyway.

Really, your best bet is that a private individual will accommodate your needs. That is what I'll look into for you. The people involved will do so at the cost of the materials + shipping for an AVS'er (...I'll make certain of that!!!) so that will help you out tremendously.

Brilliant. I'll waiting for your message.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello once agian

do you know if USPS shipping Paints to Europe?

for the small screen i'll try to do the Black Widow formula. I can purchase Auto-Air Aluminium Base Fine from Europe so the only thing is to find Bermuda Beige, Behr Ultra Pure White or Valspar Ultra Premium Flat Enamel so i asked my sister to go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy 1 quart Bermuda Beige. Thats the easy part. Then she will have to send it to me by the post but i'm not sure if they will accept to ship the package to my country because its a paint!

What do you think guys? If this work i'll be able to import and Silver Fire formula for the second screen later...

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vao /forum/post/18575412

Hello once agian

do you know if USPS shipping Paints to Europe?

Yes, however the Customs form must be very specific in mentioning that the paint is "Water based. Non-Flammable - Non-Toxic" The best way to ship is by USPS Flat Rate Priority mail.

Quote:
for the small screen i'll try to do the Black Widow formula. I can purchase Auto-Air Aluminium Base Fine from Europe so the only thing is to find Bermuda Beige, Behr Ultra Pure White or Valspar Ultra Premium Flat Enamel so i asked my sister to go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy 1 quart Bermuda Beige. Thats the easy part. Then she will have to send it to me by the post but i'm not sure if they will accept to ship the package to my country because its a paint!

I'd have her hold up on that....you can duplicate the Bermuda Beige by using the prescribed Tint formula in almost and decent White Flat Latex "Interior" Enamel available to you over there, or barring that, any White Flat Latex.

Since you must have read about Black Widow...and conversed with someone from the BW crowd, you should ask them what the European version of the BB tint formula is. They should/need to be the ones who advise you.

Silver Fire? You can order that individual components for the Base Mix, as well as the Colorant, and shipping them via USPS Flat Rate is the ONLY affordable method now that FedEx & UPS have substantially increased their rates beyond all comprehension.

Quote:
What do you think guys? If this work i'll be able to import and Silver Fire formula for the second screen later...

In my opinion, you should be using SF from the get go. Spending twice on shipping costs for two different DIY Screen formulas coming from the US is not fiscally wise. Either that or just go with the BW and try to do that screen as best as you can.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/18575768

Yes, however the Customs form must be very specific in mentioning that the paint is "Water based. Non-Flammable - Non-Toxic" The best way to ship is by USPS Flat Rate Priority mail.

Thanks! This is what i wanted to know

Quote:

Silver Fire? You can order that individual components for the Base Mix, as well as the Colorant, and shipping them via USPS Flat Rate is the ONLY affordable method now that FedEx & UPS have substantially increased their rates beyond all comprehension.

Can you advise me what exactly to purchase and how to mix it or i just need to use Silver Fire thread!? Of course only if there is a individual difference of the mix for my room.

Can i miss the viscosity and color components from SF mix? And one more thing - can i use a White Flat Latex "Interior" from here instead of buying 1gallon Behr from US?

Quote:

In my opinion, you should be using SF from the get go. Spending twice on shipping costs for two different DIY Screen formulas coming from the US is not fiscally wise. Either that or just go with the BW and try to do that screen as best as you can.

Well BW was just a possible choice. Easier to import then SF but I want quality! So i'll keep fighting for my wishes

And i'm not sure anymore that i want two screens. Maybe just the small screen - 100" / 16:9 / SF - is the most reasonable choice...

Mega thanks to you once again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts