AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is my first time posting a thread here and I really regret it for not finding this site when I was in the market for home theatre speakers.

Anyway, I currently have Bose Acoustimass 15 (I really should have researched before buying) but I don't like its sound quality too much. Therefore I would like to sell this set and upgrade to something better for myself. (Also mind that I don't want to hear people saying "WHY BOSE?" anymore)

With an assumption that I can sell this set for around $700? I am looking for something in the $1000 range. Would there be anything in this range that can be good for my use? I currently have my PS3 connected to my received via optical cable and thats how I watch/play games.

Thank you very much in advance.

Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick question. I'm also interested in getting a floor speakers in my room and I was thinking of C-300s. How do they sound? I want something in the audiophile range so Im wondering if C-300's are up to par.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
There is much you can buy in the $1k range, but only your ears will tell you what you like. For your typical store brands, I like Monitor Audio, PSB, and RBH. For internet direct, checkout av123, Ascend, Axiom, and Aperion. Have you heard speakers at some point that you liked? What did you like about them? That'll help point to brands that might fit your taste.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Search here for the plethora of threads devoted to $1K and below speakers. Then, as rnatalli said, only your ears can tell you what you like. Listen to as much as you can. Many IDs offer no- or low-cost trials of their gear so you can listen in your home.

There will be many opinions as to what is "audiophile range" but I'd gather that $1k for a complete set would not really begin to approach it...especially if you need a sub.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The main problem is that I am currently situated in Canada so it will be very hard for myself to get a speaker thats sold in the US.

ATM, futureshop is having a sale this week and they are currently offering C-300 for $199 and RC-30 for $499 respectively. How do they sound? I went to futureshop today to test them out but they werent any demos on display.

I'm really interested in getting a pair of C-300 in my room. (I'd say my room is pretty small and RC-30 in my living room. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Acoustimass 15 5.1 sets are selling on ebay for $350-$430 USD right now, so you might not have as much budget to work with as you would like.

Two bookshelf speakers in the front, a center channel speaker, and two bookshelf speakers on the sides or a pair of bipolar speakers in the back, plus a subwoofer would round out a full system. I think you could get it all in the $1000 range if you already have the receiver.

I have been fairly satisfied with my Polk RTi4 bookshelfs for rear and side surround channels, and if you set them on speaker stands they sound pretty good as front left/right/center channel (with a subwoofer, of course). The subwoofer quality is key, considering all of the "small speaker" choices you have are going to be severely lacking in the bass department, regardless of brand.

Greg

·
Premium Member
7,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC!D103 /forum/post/14179466

The main problem is that I am currently situated in Canada so it will be very hard for myself to get a speaker thats sold in the US.

Rather important information so that we don't spin our wheels with useless suggestions, don't you think? That's why there's a location section in your profile.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Boy Howdy am I ever in a unique place to answer your question so I think I'll help.

Right now and I mean right now. Im dumping my blose back on the bay.

h**p://cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130232922747&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=003

I have a kardon amp and found infinity is the match.

found floor standing speakers sound better than bookshelves and actually cost (within spittin distance) about the same if you include stands.

so my set up is 4 alpha 50's and an entra center that's also going back on the bay as soon as my new center arrives (beta 50) that is going to stand up vertically under the tv (on wall) plus an a2-300 thats in processing.

total for everything is 675 for the alphas and the beta for 104 + shipping.( alphas and betas are so similar....fashion differences more than acoustic ones)

here's my thinking....the biggest reason I went with full size speakers is that I have heard how little speakers like the bose make voices come out of the sub instead of the speaker itself and have a "hole" in the sound and I feel like a bookshelf speaker will do the same thing only to a much less discernable effect. I don't want to rely on an array of speakers to phantom create a sound within the vocal range and my parents system is klispch bookshelves with my old bic h-100. with out the sub the little speakers are the same as the bose but come alive with the sub.

don't limit yourself to bookshelf speakers

just a dumb country boy who don't know nothing and trying to help is all.

enjoy. john

·
Registered
62 Posts
Visions has some really good package deals going on... what do you guys think of these?

Pioneer VS818VK combined with Polkaudio RM705 speaker set $788 CAD

Harman Kardon AVR146 with Harman Kardon HKTS18 speakers $988

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong /forum/post/14179722

The Acoustimass 15 5.1 sets are selling on ebay for $350-$430 USD right now, so you might not have as much budget to work with as you would like.

If your Bose resale becomes problematic, you might try using four of the Bose satellites for the L/R-Surround and L/R-Rear channels [all configured LARGE] with the Acoustimass bass module placed center(ish) back, as a shared woofer [which should minimize adverse effects of the Bose's high satellite crossover.] This also provides for maximum bass management flexibility in a new front L/C/R and sub soundstage.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboss /forum/post/14183524

Check out some BIC Acoustech's. I was able to get 2 HT-88's, 2 HT-75's, HT-85, and H100 for a little over $1,100 shipped. Here is a thread with a lot of reviews of the Acoustech's.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=990726

those are really very nice. kind of remind me of Klipsch.

the h-100 is a surprising treat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts