AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie w/HDTV OTA Problems

283 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  lwhitman 
#1 ·

I just had my installation done with the Mitsubishi SR-HD400 connected to the Pioneer 533 HD5. I have Direct TV and an UHF/VHF Terk 50 OTA Antenna.

I am unable to pick up any of my OTA digital local channels in the Boston area, although I am getting analogs. I also cannot access the Direct TV HD channel 199 (HD Net/Demo Loop), which I thought was on 24/7? Direct TV tech support was of no value, as they said they don't have an HD receiver to validate that there was programming on 199!!

Can anyone help? Is there any magic to picking up the digital locals? I assume there is something wrong with my connections keeping me from picking up the local digitals or HD. My installer and the dealer I purchased from also had no clue.

Thanks.

Larry

#2 ·
The HD & DTV OTA are in the UHF Band; therefore if you can get UHF analog channels you are receiving the digital also.

As to wiring it together, do a search on "multiple receivers" in this and/or the DBS Forum and you will find terrific info on wiring it up.

#3 ·
Can you describe how your Terk antenna is connected to your HD receiver?

Are you using a diplexer to combine the sat signal with the Terk OTA antenna on a single coax downlead? Or do you have separate downleads?

I hope I'm not overstepping here, so I apologize in advance if you've done the technical research already. The Terk TV50 is an amplified antenna that requires power. You probably know that since a power injector is included with the package. Make sure that you have power all the way to the antenna. Use a voltmeter if you have one - if you don't your tongue will work in a pinch (the old 9V transistor battery test!).

If you're using a diplexer to combine the Terk and the sat antennas, make sure it's a model that passes DC voltage on the antenna port as well as the sat port. And make sure that you have the SR-HD5's antenna inputs configured properly.

As far as your problems with channel 199 - make sure your getting signals from both LNBs. If you're getting all transponders (1-32) on sat 101 and all (21-32) on sat 119, you should be OK. When I setup mine, I was off a bit and was getting 21-32 on sat 101 and nothing on 119 - I had the dish pointed a bit off and was receiving sat 119 on the A LNB (the one for 101!). Hopefully you didn't make the same mistake!

Since you're in Natick, the Terk should work. It's definitely not my first choice. I'd think that an indoor antenna without a preamp, like the Radio Shack double bowtie or the Silver Senser would work fine. Here in Marblehead a Silver Sensor worked fine for me to get the Boston locals. Right now I'm waiting on a Channel Master JoinTenna so I can mate it with a rooftop UHF antenna pointing at WENH in New Hampshire (without having to use a rotor). With WGBH-DT(19) beginning testing next week, my desire to get WENH-DT may wane, but until they're broadcasting full-power I'll still hedge my bets...

Let us know how you do!

------------------

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|>

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|\\

Â*Â*Â*Â*/|Â*\\

Â*Â*Â*/Â*|__\\

Â*Â*/__|____

Â*Â*\\_ ___ _ \\

Jon Gauthier

"If I'm not sailing I'd rather be watching sailing in HD!" - Me

[This message has been edited by jonlgauthier (edited 09-21-2001).]

#4 ·

Well, I've solved half my problem. My installer set up the connection incorrectly. He had my antenna connection set up to my IN ANT connection instead of my SATELLITE IN, where my Terk diplexer is connected. Once I fixed this and searched for my locals, voila the digital stations appeared. I have noticed that they are showing up in 4:3 mode, with grey bars on the side. Is this normal? I am currently locked in FULL mode because I am using component connections. Could this be why??

On the HD front, still no luck with HDNet. I checked all my transponders and all is normal. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

#5 ·
Larry:

It's interesting, and disappointing, that you had an installer do your HD installation, yet he didn't find the signal and peak it while he was there? This is entirely unacceptable and he should come back to finish the job. Not all installers are familiar with the oval dish, which requires a slight "diagonal" tilt to really maximize the HD signal.

Good luck...you'll love it when you get it!

Steve

------------------

Mits WS55857, Pan H1000D, Mits SR-HD5, Linn AV51XX, Proceed AVP/Amp5, (2) PS Audio PowerPlant

#6 ·

As a follow-up, I spoke to Mitsubishi tech support today and they were very helpful. After troubleshooting with me, they concluded that I have a bad HD receiver. I was unable to get my remote to work at all in HD mode. So I spoke to my dealer, who is going to swap out the box on Monday. They were very apologetic, and claimed it is an industrywide issue to get quality satellite installers these days.

Too bad, because i noticed that the Arkansas game was in HD today. Even though my feed was only SD, the 16:9 image and picture were fantastic! Can't wait to get HD up and running!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.