Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm a newbie to HDTV but fairly techno-literate. Just a few questions on the Sony 34" DV KD-34XBR2. I know it has a built-in tuner. Does this set come equipped to handle HD DirecTV or will I need to buy a DirecTV receiver in addition to the built-in cost of an HDTV tuner in the set?

If I need to go ahead and buy another HDTV DirectTV receiver, am I better served by buying another make such as Panasonic or Toshiba (or anything else recommended) that is HDTV-ready sans tuner? Which is the best 34" widescreen without tuner?

Finally, are these sets guaranteed to be future-ready? Is the Sony equipped for the future because it already has a tuner and any interface issues are moot? Or is there something else that may possibly render the set useless in the future when protocols are defined?

Thanks in advance,

Ahsan

·
Registered
710 Posts
The Sony does NOT include a DirecTV or Dish tuner or any other sort of satellite tuner. Its internal tuner can handle OTA broadcasts and some types of cable, possibly. Until the cable companies get their ass in gear, who can know for sure what standard they'll end up with in the end, probably some sort of box is inevitable with those guys.

There is no guarantee that ANYTHING is future-ready. The Sony is at least MORE future ready than most existing sets, in that it includes a Firewire, but until we see a DirecTV Firewire-equipped box, we can't say if this will be adequate. The XBR2 does NOT contain a DVI connector which is looking like it may be a significant problem, but as far as I know there are no direct view sets with DVI on the market yet, but some (including Sony) are very close now (months away, not years).

The XBR2 is a great box, I've had one since last August and I love it. I am little disappointed that I didn't wait for a DVI-equipped set, but at the moment that has no impact on me, but it might potentially be a problem down the road. But at the time, it was certainly the MOST future-proof set available, but the damn future kept changing :(

I am in the market for another Directview or plasma set now, but decided to wait a few months and see what sort of DVI-equipped models show up at the local vendors before having another go. I plan to keep the XBR2 for many years to come, however. Its got a great picture, constract, solid geometry, and good OTA tuner which I use regularly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.