AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie Newbie Newbie.Never had projection before.

I know.I knowI have read and read, but one thing that's for sure is that everyone's application is different.

Brand new house with 18'x18' media room that has been prewired, not necessarily correctly though. There is an HDMI cable and power in the ceiling. Speaker locations are wired for 5.1. All wires lead to the right of the screen location (right corner as you sit). Rear speaker locations are on side walls. Ceiling height is 7'. I was planning on having my viewing distance at 12-14'.

Paint colours are white on the ceiling and beige on the walls.

My sectional is 12' wide so viewing angle from the screen centre if sitting at the ends of the sectional will be 30 degrees. The room has no windows and one door. Lighting is recessed and dimmable.

I plan on watching Blu-ray and DVD, along with HDTV (Shaw) & sports (F1 and Hockey).

What size screen should I go with? I'm leaning towards 108-120. What distance should the projector be mounted from the screen?

What format screen should I go with. I assume movies are a wider format than 16:9?

How high from the floor should the center of the screen be?

Based on that height of the screen how far should the projector drop from the ceiling? Or does this matter?

For budget reasons I'm leaning towards the Epson 6100. But are there others I should consider?

What type of screen should I be looking at? I was planning on it being retractable because I plan on having a 50 plasma or LCD mounted behind it for the kids to watch regular TV on and play WII or play station.

What mounts work best for this projector?

OH yeah.budget is CDN$2,700 including taxes for projector, mount & screen.

I have a Sony BDPS360 and Onkyo HT-S7100.

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Read the forums. Hit the reviews at www.projectorcentral.com and www.projectorreviews.com to narrow search. From what I gathered from your post, , I think your biggest limiting factor is 7' ceilings. That may put you permanently in the LCD camp, as you'll need to keep picture very close to ceiling so it doesn't get too close to the floor (DLP usually have fixed offset and very limited lens shift, so the larger the picture, the further down from the ceiling it is). As far as position of Projector, each model is a little different - just look up your finalists on the calculator at projectorcentral for their respective#'s.

Last bit of advice, paint that ceiling some dark color. Good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
Agree with danimal60 that 7' ht is your biggest concern. Narrow down the list of projectors based on that adn your price point.

Look at monoprice dot com for mounts.

Screen - since you have decided to go with a drop down, look at monoprice to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHeight /forum/post/16904413

What size screen should I go with? I'm leaning towards 108-120. What distance should the projector be mounted from the screen?

Size of screen - the bigger the better. I have a 12 x 17 room, with seating between 10' - 16', and have a 106".
Quote:

What format screen should I go with. I assume movies are a wider format than 16:9?

Most of the movies and HD content is 16:9, and that's the most used choice.

Quote:

How high from the floor should the center of the screen be?

Based on that height of the screen how far should the projector drop from the ceiling? Or does this matter?

Depends on the projector. So, narrow your list to a few and then use the projector calculator on projectorcentral.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts