AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up this LED TV and I need some help wiring it up correctly so I get surround sound from my receiver.

I've posted pictures of the backs of my equipment, so hopefully someone can help me out with the correct wiring. Main issue is getting the sound to my receiver and out.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
Consider buying a new HDMI surround receiver first of all. It will make life easier with connections and offer a lot more flexibility and performance than the one pictured. If that is not an option, here is what needs to happen: a digital audio connection to the receiver for all sources that have it. Optical for DVD, and the cable box doesn't appear to have one so either take the audio output of the TV (analog or digital, doesn't matter since the signal is analog to begin with) or Y-adapt the analog connection off the cable box to the A/V receiver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried taking the audio from the TV to the receiver and am getting nothing. I also took the audio from the cable box to the receiver, and it works inconsistently, the sound comes out muffled and not listenable at all.

Back of the TV, I have it it plugged into Audio out, with a reg. Y-adaptor, to the receiver at TV slot and am getting nothing.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Is that your cable box? Are you using the built-in QAM tuner in the TV? That's the only way you'll get HD cable content given that cable box.

We're all familiar with the connector types, if you want the best advice, we need to know the make/models of the equipment.

The only audio usually output from a TV is either (1) any analog audio received or (2) digital audio output from the internal QAM tuner. Digital audio received from HDMI sources is generally NOT sent back out.

Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/19638492

Is that your cable box? Are you using the built-in QAM tuner in the TV? That's the only way you'll get HD cable content given that cable box.

We're all familiar with the connector types, if you want the best advice, we need to know the make/models of the equipment.

The only audio usually output from a TV is either (1) any analog audio received or (2) digital audio output from the internal QAM tuner. Digital audio received from HDMI sources is generally NOT sent back out.

Jeff

Umm... the cable box is the picture with my hand.... I have no idea what you mean by QAM tuner... but yes the cable is just plugged into the TV from the cable box. And yea, it isn't really an HD cable box

Most def labelled Audio out.

Cable box is a Motorola, as you can see just cable in/out and then the rwy out as well.

DVD player is a Phillips DVP642

Receiver is a Panasonic SA-XR50

TV is Sharp LC-52LE920UN

I'm thinking that I should be able to use the composite video cables to hook up my DVD player, and then send the sound straight to the receiver?

Is there some kind of setting on the TV I need to enable to get it to send the audio out? As I have also tried using the red&white on the cable box and sending it too the receiver, but the sound doesn't really come out, it is all muffled and you can't really hear anything at all.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellfireX /forum/post/19638626

Umm... the cable box is the picture with my hand.... I have no idea what you mean by QAM tuner... but yes the cable is just plugged into the TV from the cable box. And yea, it isn't really an HD cable box

Most def labelled Audio out.

Cable box is a Motorola, as you can see just cable in/out and then the rwy out as well.

Yeah, you should really think about upgrading that cable box next. Shame to have an HD set with no HD content... You might want to split the coax coming into the box and run a line directly to the TV as well - you'll probably get at least your local broadcast channels in HD, perhaps more.

Quote:
Receiver is a Panasonic SA-XR50

Ah, that's why it looked familiar. I've bought a couple of those for family members. Great little receiver for the price (at least, when it was new!!!).

Quote:
I'm thinking that I should be able to use the composite video cables to hook up my DVD player, and then send the sound straight to the receiver?

You don't want to do that. It will look awful. Use the COMPONENT (3x RCA + 2 audio) video to the TV, and run an optical cable to the receiver.

Quote:
Is there some kind of setting on the TV I need to enable to get it to send the audio out? As I have also tried using the red&white on the cable box and sending it too the receiver, but the sound doesn't really come out, it is all muffled and you can't really hear anything at all.

The TV will (should) send any analog audio received to the audio out jack. Go into the TV setup menu, System Options-> Input Terminal (see page 30 of the TV manual) and change the audio output to "Fixed". For HD channels received by the TV's internal QAM (that's the cable tuner built into your TV, as well as an ATSC broadcast tuner), run another optical cable from the TV to the receiver. Both of those links would be replaced with a single optical cable from an HD-capable cable box.

Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/19641545

Yeah, you should really think about upgrading that cable box next. Shame to have an HD set with no HD content... You might want to split the coax coming into the box and run a line directly to the TV as well - you'll probably get at least your local broadcast channels in HD, perhaps more.

I'll have to see if Shaw will give me an upgraded one free

Quote:

Ah, that's why it looked familiar. I've bought a couple of those for family members. Great little receiver for the price (at least, when it was new!!!).

You don't want to do that. It will look awful. Use the COMPONENT (3x RCA + 2 audio) video to the TV, and run an optical cable to the receiver.

Yea I got the receiver like 3 boxing days? ago, very nice receiver for the price! Haha yes, I ment component (Red/Green/Blue) wires. I also have a orange colour audio cable I purchased?

Quote:

The TV will (should) send any analog audio received to the audio out jack. Go into the TV setup menu, System Options-> Input Terminal (see page 30 of the TV manual) and change the audio output to "Fixed". For HD channels received by the TV's internal QAM (that's the cable tuner built into your TV, as well as an ATSC broadcast tuner), run another optical cable from the TV to the receiver. Both of those links would be replaced with a single optical cable from an HD-capable cable box.

Jeff

So this is my issue now, I have a digital audio cable I picked up running from the TV to the receiver. However, I am only getting sound out of my centre speaker, none of the other ones are giving me sound. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellfireX /forum/post/19649710

I'll have to see if Shaw will give me an upgraded one free

Yeah, because the cable guys love to give away free stuff.

Quote:
So this is my issue now, I have a digital audio cable I picked up running from the TV to the receiver. However, I am only getting sound out of my centre speaker, none of the other ones are giving me sound. What am I doing wrong?

Assuming you've tried changing the surround modes on the receiver (so it's not on Mono, if it even supports that), and the program you're seeing is actually in stereo, I'm still surprised you're getting any sound at all with the digital audio cable. First, try running the L/R audio from the cable box to the receiver, and see what you get. Then try running the analog audio output from the TV to the receiver and see what happens.

Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/19649774

Yeah, because the cable guys love to give away free stuff.

Assuming you've tried changing the surround modes on the receiver (so it's not on Mono, if it even supports that), and the program you're seeing is actually in stereo, I'm still surprised you're getting any sound at all with the digital audio cable. First, try running the L/R audio from the cable box to the receiver, and see what you get. Then try running the analog audio output from the TV to the receiver and see what happens.

Jeff

Well the TV display says Mono... but when I plug in the L/R audio from the cable box to the receiver I get all the speakers working.... but for some reason it cuts out and becomes muffled, at least that is what happened last time I had it like this (see earlier post).

I don't understand why going from the TV to the receiver I am not getting all the speakers working...

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellfireX /forum/post/19649878

Well the TV display says Mono...

I don't understand why going from the TV to the receiver I am not getting all the speakers working...

TV says 'mono', you're getting mono...

Don't know why the sound would be muffled or otherwise screwed up. You really should look at an upgraded cable box, though.

Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/19649954

TV says 'mono', you're getting mono...

Don't know why the sound would be muffled or otherwise screwed up. You really should look at an upgraded cable box, though.

Jeff

So if I disconnect the cable box, and just take the RF-coax Cable to the TV, would that give me stereo sound? Would that make the audio going from the TV to the receiver stereo, which would result in all of the speakers working rather than just the centre one?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts