AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm sure this is a silly question but I've been unable to find a clear answer. I have my RCA DVD player connected to my Yamaha receiver using the Digital Coax to get 5.1 surround. Do I still need to connect the red & white analogue wires from the DVD player for the left & right channels to the receiver as well or is everything including left & right passing through the 1 cable anyways? The same question applies to my 360 (optical out though) & my Rogers Hi-def box.

Thanks,

Cam

·
Registered
239 Posts
No don't need to connnect the red and white wires. That's for analog 2 channel signal, the 2 channels being left and right front.

The digital coax is already carrying a digital signal which will be decoded into analog form by your receiver into whatever it was originally digitized from, whether that be 2 channel or 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1.

Only time you will need to connect analog audio cables from your DVD player to your receiver is if you want to play with hi resolution audio like SACD or DVD-A, or maybe uncompressed PCM from a Bluray or HD-Dvd player.

·
Registered
415 Posts
A reason for hooking up the L/R analog cables may be when playing an older film. They often encode the audio as Dolby Digital 1.0 and the sound would come out of your center speaker only. Some receivers don't let you use the DSP processing in that case. If you want to use, for example, a mono enhancement mode, you may have to use the analog in's to allow your processor to do that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was watching the Seven Samarai, because I was told it surpassed the magnificent western version, and the mono came through fine over DD. At least through my center. I didn't try to DSP it. There can't be too many mono recordings right? The Terminator, maybe?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts

Quote:
A reason for hooking up the L/R analog cables may be when playing an older film. They often encode the audio as Dolby Digital 1.0 and the sound would come out of your center speaker only. Some receivers don't let you use the DSP processing in that case. If you want to use, for example, a mono enhancement mode, you may have to use the analog in's to allow your processor to do that.

That statement is not true ,the digital coaxial or optical will pass "Any" signal being processed off of the dvd's soundtrack , either stereo mono or whatever since the signal is still being sent.

My avr passes the signal just fine with no problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.