AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine moved down south for his new job, and left me some of his belonging's including the Nec projector until he settles in. It got stolen from my apartment including other things. Looks like the thieves took their time, as this unit was pretty heavy. Has not been a good month for me as one of my cars overheated, the other one got hit & run while parked in a parking lot, I think it is a CRT projector because I read the forum for few minutes and saw some pictures, I am amazed by the screenshots, never thought they could produce such good quality, it had three lights or whatever you call it, I am sorry, but I will try reading other posts to get more knowledge. I am looking for a NEC projector, could someone tell me where to buy one. Could someone tell me price or e-mail me with the prices for NEC CRT projector at [email protected] in Canadian dollars.

Thank You

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Which model was it? I probably have in stock, and I'm right next door in Vancouver...

That sucks for you, I'll get you a good deal on one. I had my run of bad luck in Sept/Oct with similar things happening to me.

Looks like the black cloud has drifted eastward, sorry!

Curt

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Jvivek, ouch! The XG-135 is not cheap!

Do you have renter's insurance?

·
Registered
359 Posts
isn't it funny how things change once they get stolen....

(by no way - am I saying that is the case here)

...I once had a friend that had a set of cheep Canadian tire golf clubs stolen from his car... Vola! ...brand new set of Callaways.

and I've heard of many other similar stories... and yes I know it's insurance fraud, and illegal.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm lucky enough - that I've NEVER had anything stolen (knock on Wood). I once had my car broken into - but nothing was taken.

Plus - I would never do anything shady, with my luck the insurance adjustor would be a home theater nut!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never thought you could use one of these projectors to see movies, cable. Even though my friend told me so, I didnt thought projectors could and produce so good picture quality. I dont know if my friend visit's avsforum, but I talked to him today, and I did let him know that his projector got stolen from my apartment, he thought that I was joking. I told him I will grab him another projector, he said I don't have to. But It just seems right for me to buy another projector for him as he is having is own problems. I always had one bad month in a year, and it is always been November, I really hate it, This year, November 2, my first car gets overheated, and I just got new tires, tuneup, and other work done on it, Second. my other car was involved in hit&run in the parking lot on the same day. 3 days later my apartment got broken into.

History of mishaps on november last year

My dad had a asthma attack while visiting me, November 2, 1999

I was Involved in a serious car accident, Novermber 10, 2000

those are the few dates I could remember.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
No one has, of yet told him what he's in for if he still wishes to buy a replacement "matching" projector in good condition. I'm too tired to ruin someones night. But you can buy a real nice used car for less.:( :rolleyes:

Sorry...

Chip S.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Click here. to get an idea of the value. Or maybe you can just offer to wash your friends car every week, for life. I would start watching ebay for the thing, you never know thieves can be very stupid.

Sorry

Mike

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
jvivek if you dont have renter's insurance you should get it. Its cheap and what would you do if the apartment complex caught on fire or the pipes burst in the apartment above you?

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
jvivek,

Are you aware that a new projector can sometimes cost as much as a new car -- though you can buy a used B-Stock for the price of a used car (ie $3000 league) ...

I see that it's an XG135 .... I used to have one of those, and it was a really good projector!

Half of my visitors complimented that the picture quality was better than going to the movie theater ....(with proper focussing & calibration & a good screen) .... That's a good friend to go watch DVD's with -- if the projector did not get stolen, or if the projector is replaced!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will look into the Insurance, I think Curt will get me a used NEC, Thanks to Curt Palme, and he is in Vancouver, and plus I was went though the past forum messages, and Curt has a real Canadian Personality so I am happy do business with him.

Thanks Curt Palme

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Yes, definitely look into insurance. I had some insurance going approximately 10-20 CDN per month but it will be higher in higher-crime areas or if you have lots of belongings.

You can probably get under-$5000 home belongings insurance coverage for pretty cheap, and it will be valid even if you live in an apartment.

Typically protect you against theft, fire, burst water pipes, earthquake, things like that -- And most other mudane crazy things like drunk driver crashing into side of building (if you're on first floor), to things like damage caused by your upstair neighbours' overflowing bathtub electrocuting your home theater in the floor below.

If you have a digital camera, good idea to take pictures of your whole apartment, all rooms (and valuable contents of certain drawers/cabinets if applicable) and slap all the photos onto a CDR ... to send it to the insurance people. Then you don't have to explain why you used to own 500 DVD discs to the disbelieving insurer after they're already stolen!

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Mark,

That projector you once owned was down here for a while and I got to see it perform occasionally. Frankly I'll never understand why you wanted to replace it with a lamp projector. It did indeed make a beautiful picture.

Bob Wood

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.