AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving into a new house and am designing my basement for my HT room. I have some $$ to spend from the sale of the house and want to do it right. But I wanna stay around 5-6k for my speakers and amp.

The room runs about 24 x 20. I'd like to get new speakers and I'm looking at Axiom's. They have a package that has rear surrounds (3) that are

6 ohms / 400 watts. Front mains are 8 ohm / 200 watts, and a 6 ohm / 400 watt center.

If I get a 3 channel amp to run my back surrounds. Will my Sony STR2ESDA (?) Receiver 6.1 take care of my main fronts and center channel?

I'm new at this but eager to learn from some one who knows whats their talking about.

Thanks for the knowledge in advance.

PB

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
PB,

Two things:

First, IMO your room is on the cusp of mid to large size. You will likely want all the power you can manage to fill it with quality sound, especially if your prime seating position has a good setback from the front stage. I don't know the sensitivity of the Axioms in question but the front L-R being 8 Ohms will help somewhat. The 6 Ohm draw on the rest of the package including the center should not cause too much of a power burden, especially if the overall system sensitivity is in the 90-99dB range. Anything in the high 80's will be harder to drive cleanly.

Second, the usual method of utilizing external amping is to power the frontstage as fully as possible for better 2 channel enjoyment and also for HT as the front three channels are usually more critical and demanding. Even though the front L-R in your projected speaker package are the easiest to drive, I would still reverse your proposition and use any external amp for the front and let the 2ES handle the rest. Go for at least a 3 channel amp with as close to double the power rating of the 2ES as you can afford.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Clarke is right. Definitely use the better and stronger power where it's needed most and appreciated most. This is where the most demanding and yielding passages come out: the front and center channels.

20 by 24 is what I'd consider large but I am from Europe and our rooms are smaller. It also depends on how high the room is and whether it opens into anything else like entry hall and so on. The cubic feet is what counts but I reckon you don't have a vaulted ceiling in the basement.

Next thing you have to consider (and tell us, if you want good advice) is in how far the system is used for HT and for music. And what kind of material you listen to with what kind of levels. Jazz or folk at decent levels requires a lot less power than a Mahler symphony or an opera at concert level. same is true for movies Harry and Sally have other requirements than Star Wars.

Lastly, wattage for speakers is almost insignificant unless you are talking about car stereos. Let's say you need to know what the recommended minimum for your speaker is. The maximum will most likely never be reached. At least not without damage to your ears.

Ok, that wasn't the last point. Also make sure you visit this site's builder's forum for useful tips and literature on room acoustics and dedicated HT rooms. 2000$ in placement (well placement is free but I should say room set-up like ceiling tiles etc.) and acoustic treatment can make much more difference than 2000$ in amps.

You are at the right place!

Till

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
PB, I bet that they are the M50's / VP150 / QS8's, right? :D Anyway, as a recent buyer of the Axioms, I second Till's last sentences.

Yes, the Axioms are very efficient speaker (93-95 dB per each) and so they are easy to drive. Although your room is fairly large, if I were you I would delay the purchase of an additional amp altogether. I would simply hook up the speakers with your existing receiver, and spend time seriously optimizing their placement and room treatments. For example, if the floor in front of the front speakers is wooden, then place some lugs to reduce reflection, etc. You do not necessarily have to go for expensive and exotic (and often ugly) acoustic materials, although those materials may surely help in some situations.

You should really do this before jumping on to spending more $$$ for the electronics upgrade (which you can do any time later as you wish!). The effect of upgrading amps will be far more subtle as compared with optimizing speaker placement and room acoustics.

Oh, and since you seem to have some room in your budget, I would recommend upgrading your front L/R to the M60's or even to the M80's (considering the size of the room), unless you really like the more "laid-back" sound of M40/M50's. Many people at Axiom's own online forum agree that the M60's are arguably the best tower they make. It has a highly accurate and airy mid/highs. At any rate, you will be very happy with the Axioms.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sushi, Till, ClarkeBar.....

Thanks a bunch for the excellent info....It is much appreciated. i would hate to waste time and $$$ on things I don't need and this place has been an outstanding sourse of information.

PB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.