AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a HT and want to use a projector. I was under the impression that you could just put a picture on a white wall. Is this the case?

I want about a 6' tall widescreen picture. My room will be mostly dark. I look at all the projectors on the market and the only thing that I know for sure is that Lumens is the brightness of the picure.(if thats even correct)

My friend just bought a Sony 53" HDTV but I dont like the size limitations of HDTV. I want big. Bigger is better.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Mainly I need to know if a screen is required and why?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
White wall will work but screen will look better. Mainly, white wall will look kinda flat while screen can increase contrast for that 3D look. Depending on PJ you may need different screens. If you get DLP with great contrast then Hipower will give you more vibrant colors and can take the reduced contrast slightly as it has plenty already. If you have bright LCD then gray screen or hicontrast will do better as it enhance your blacks and contrast (Grayhawk is best but expensive). Your cost for a manual pull-down hipower Dalite Model B for 96" wide is about $300. For a Grayhawk it'll be over 1K. You can start with a wall then upgrade later. If you do use the wall I would at least frame it and paint it flat, bright white (Behr Ultra White or Sherman-William equivalent). Glossy may hot spot or glare. I would peruse Screen forum for more info.

As far as learning about PJ, I would start with www.projectorcentral.com as they have teaching articles, reviews, specs, prices. After you've read that site carefully, then ask particular questions here on certain model. This way you know where to start. Depending on your budget and viewing habits (DVD vs. VHS vs. Satellite vs. Analog Cable), we may recommend different PJ for you. Either way, welcome to the AVS forum :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi FA 76:

You'll want to spend as much time as possible reading about projectors on this forum and elsewhere before you decide what to get. There are several new projectors coming out right now, including the Plus Piano and a new Infocus, both of which have been discussed here recently. Plug in the name of any projector you're interested in and use the "Search" function to search the pj forum for discussions about it. Here's a link to an ongoing discussion about the brand new and very interesting Dukane pj.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=89658

Good luck with your HT. Don't rush your choice.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
FA76,

The unit "lumens" is the brightness of the projector. If you take the lumens of the

projector and divide by the area of the picture in square feet - you get the brightness of the

picture in a unit called a "foot-lambert".

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.