AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am just starting out in this. I want to know what to consider before I get in this too far and mess up. I have not even built the room. I plan to buy cables from bluejeans cables. I am looking at a projector price around $2000-$3000. I have a marginal surround sound that will have to work for now until I get more money. I want to at least get started on the room and projector (screen too of course). The room will need sound protection and will have 2 levels of seating. Any help will be much appreciated. This will help me in where to start my research from this forum. It all seems very overwhelming with the amount of different info.


I had thought about a Runco until I read a post about that and then changed my mind on that and lowered my $$$ amount for a projector. Hopefully I can get it started sooner with a lower dollar amount.


Thanks for your help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
Best place to start would be by posting a diagram that shows the layout of the room with dimensions, and a list of your goals (I want seating for two - or fifteen; I watch only movies - or 50% movies, 20% TV, 30% gaming; I live alone - or there's a common wall with my two year old's bedroom; I plan to have a dedicated space with total light control - or a mixed use media / living room with some windows; etc.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo /forum/post/20775642


What Runco were you considering?

LS-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20775839


Best place to start would be by posting a diagram that shows the layout of the room with dimensions, and a list of your goals (I want seating for two - or fifteen; I watch only movies - or 50% movies, 20% TV, 30% gaming; I live alone - or there's a common wall with my two year old's bedroom; I plan to have a dedicated space with total light control - or a mixed use media / living room with some windows; etc.)

Thank you for your reply! These are EXACTLEY why I'm looking for help. Never thought of some of these questions! I will measure room soon. I have 2 ideas for sizes and shapes (need to check with wife first on her opinion).


I have 3 kids that are all above 12. The room is in the basement. Everyone sleeps upstairs (2 story home). The noise from the basement is ridiculously loud on the main floor even with just the TV or exercise machine going.


I'm thinking maybe a 30%-40% movie and 30%-40% TV (sports, and primetime TV), and whatever is left video games.


I have total light control because my basement only has one egress window and it will not be included in the theater room. This room will only be for the TV and sound. Only issue for me is the HVAC duct work. It is not run through the truss and is hanging below it.


Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The room will either be 18'x13' (screen on 18 side) or 18'x19' (screen on 19 side). With the 18'x19' room it will have to have an entry for hallway so I will lose some in the back of the room but maybe only about 3'-4' x 3'x4' for a hallway.


poncho8m,


I was just reading the "do differently" thread when you posted that. Good info in that post so far!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Matt 575... just posted the following for Falconfanatic... hope it helps...


I just purchased the JVC RS40 DILA 3D projector...but when I was looking I auditioned the Epson 8700UB (@$1999) (non 3D) and was impressed with the great picture for that amount of money
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AZ
Matt 575... just posted the following for Falconfanatic... hope it helps...


I just purchased the JVC RS40 DILA 3D projector...but when I was looking I auditioned the Epson 8700UB (@$1999) (non 3D) and was impressed with the great picture for that amount of money
When you say "auditioned" does that mean you tried them out? If so, how did you do that?


Why the JVC over the Epson? Just because of the 3D?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,097 Posts
My advice is wait until the room is almost built before you purchase your projector. For one, CEDIA is coming up and new projectors will be announced. For two, it will be much harder to return if there is an issue and it counts against your warranty.


I would not spend too much on the PJ and spend some of the budget on audio. There are some solid projectors in the $1000-1300 range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk
My advice is wait until the room is almost built before you purchase your projector. For one, CEDIA is coming up and new projectors will be announced. For two, it will be much harder to return if there is an issue and it counts against your warranty.


I would not spend too much on the PJ and spend some of the budget on audio. There are some solid projectors in the $1000-1300 range.
I see you are from Maple Grove. I am in that area also. Where did you get your supplies, equipment, etc.. Anywhere around here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt575
The room will either be 18'x13' (screen on 18 side) or 18'x19' (screen on 19 side). With the 18'x19' room it will have to have an entry for hallway so I will lose some in the back of the room but maybe only about 3'-4' x 3'x4' for a hallway.


poncho8m,


I was just reading the "do differently" thread when you posted that. Good info in that post so far!
Is there a reason for putting the screen on the 18' wall in your first scenario? The reason I ask is because 13' is going to be too shallow for two rows of seating. Assume at least 5' for the rear row, which means the front row will be within 8'; probably closer to 7'. Just something to keep in mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo /forum/post/20775642


What Runco were you considering?

Is the ls-10 any good?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top